1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I've had 29.5 days' work since the start of this term, which is less than this time last year. I've got work booked for this Friday, but nothing else yet. I'd like to get another 3 or 4 days at least this term. I think there must be more work about in primary than secondary.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  2. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

In the last 11 days , I have had 1 day and in truth, I am getting fed up with the excuses from the agency, in that they are providing work for other people.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In a couple of week's time you will really have something to complain about!

4. steveshortland25

steveshortland25 New commenter

ive been quite lucky since i joined my agency since Easter. I have only had 3 days where there has been no work. It might only be because im on £125 a day, but im not in a position to turn down work as I dont start my new role untiul sept.
    I guess it comes down to where you are located and subject. Im a history teacher in Norfolk, howeve rI have found myself teaching geography a fair bit!

5. jammie76

jammie76 New commenter

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I could have had work today and yesterday. However I overworked my legs at the weekend and I'm hobbling about on still calf muscles at the moment. Hoping I'm recovered enough in case I get some tomorrow

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Reading TES threads, waiting for the day to pass...

Some schools in my area start on Wednesday.
    So no phone calls anytime soon.

Have a sunny one, folks!!!

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not good for you- especially if you're missing work.:(

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There won't be much this week I wouldn't have thought - most schools have one or two training days and then a short week of three days.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It should start to pick up next week.

I am going to get up and be ready just to practice perhaps on Friday.

Flowers19 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have my first real teaching day tomorrow for what feels like ages.

Going to get some sleep soon so I'm fresh for the onslaught

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best for tomorrow peakster.

I am sure you and your classes will enjoy the lessons.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. wicked4u2

Even if I am alone and on one sees me, I feel so stupid to be dressed and ready to smash the door on my way out PROVIDED I get a call.
    It feels like you're putting your life on hold until 08:30 (at the latest) then you resume it.

14. Lara mfl 05

So true. And one reason why supply can be so stressful. Also why I preferred the long-term supply.

15. wicked4u2

Long term supply is like you're basically in the same spot with full time. Actually it's worse, you still get no pension, no union to back you up, you can be kicked out if/whenever they don't like your face anymore etc etc. It's either day to day or get back into full time. This is is how I see it. If you want to do supply. One cannot think it's better than staying at home like I am at the moment, we're better than this. We are professionals, teachers are the most trusted persons in our society or any society for that matter because of our high moral standards.
    -------------
    To conclude, I wanted to see how it is like but I, for one, cannot cope with the uncertainty.

16. Lara mfl 05

I agree and I was certainly not on supply 'by choice' Circumstances .

Having my first child in 1988 which meant I was 'inexperienced with the new curriculum', having to wait another 5 years before having my second etc. all combined to making my 'time-out of full-time teaching difficult to re-enter.
    I tried so hard during those many years on supply. I used to joke about how I could wallpaper a very large room with copies of all my applications and 'On this occasion your application' has been unsuccessful' letters. Schools welcomed me with open ams to do lots of long term supply but i could never get off the starting block to getting an interview.

Back then with National Pay Scales being obligatory it was difficult to return in a capacity of ordinary Class Teacher when one was expensive. When the Pay Scales were being abolished I did score one or two interviews, but being out of practice i didn't do well and then care for elderly parents kicked in so I couldn't cope with full-time permanent :(

However long-term supply can be really rewarding, knowing you are an important cog in those children's lives at a crucial time whilst their tecaher is absent for those who just want to stay in teaching 'making a difference' and one certainly has more opportunity to come into more children's lives than one would by being permanent.:)

How often have I heard that and how often warned people against such decisions but everyones has to learn for themselves.:rolleyes:

17. wicked4u2

More or less all supply teachers are forced into switching to this type of job. Either you want to spend more time with your little ones, either you are burned out and want to take a step back from the "madding crowd", for a while or someone who came from abroad and wants that UK teaching experience and make some money to earn their keep. Or you're in a couple and can afford to earn a little bit less than a full time teacher because your spouse can compensate for that lower than usual income of yours. I cannot think that anyone in their right state of mind would choose uncertainty, because there is, over something stable.

18. wicked4u2

Hee, I've been checking my local council borough's website. There are already new positions to fill, teachers and TAs. I'm still holding on for smth better distance wise. Let's go, people. Schools are understaffed, good news for us. And this is the first day de facto, lmao. They will be begging us to come and cover those positions, room for us to ask more money. DO NOT sell yourselves cheap even if you go for a lower job qualification wise.

God bless!!!

19. wicked4u2

Weekend is coming in ten minutes.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I just looked at the web site for teaching and support staff vacancies in my county. Last week it was 55 - this week 130 - one school has 4 teaching posts advertised.

wicked4u2 and gingerhobo48 like this.