1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Flowers19

Flowers19 Occasional commenter

Well I had two days guaranteed work this week but the course the teacher was on was cancelled! Fantastic! So I've sacked this week off and I'll start again Monday!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

That's annoying! Last year I was booked for two days at a school locally that I really wanted to work in, called off the Friday before because the school was up for OFSTED and the teacher was withdrawn from the course she was going to attend.

pepper5 and Flowers19 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi thekillers

Yes, we are still here. Any you? Didn't you get a long term post? Trust you are well.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Welcome to the forum Flowers19.

Lara mfl 05 and Flowers19 like this.
  5. Flowers19

Flowers19 Occasional commenter

@pepper5 i was another user name but thought it was too obvious as to who I was so I changed it! Thank you though :) xx

pepper5 and Moony like this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Sensible thinking there ;)

Flowers19 and pepper5 like this.
  7. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Is the state of supply still bad?

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Em

The start of January is traditionally the time when work starts to pick up and it does appear it is a bit busier, but much of the work is longer term assignments and work in schools no one wants to go to because of the challenging behaviour. Right before Christmas it was particularly slow.

If you are able and willing to take on the most challenging classes you might get enough work. A lot also depends on where you live and what you teach. If you live somewhere with access to a lot of schools, obviously it will be easier.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  9. karaka

karaka New commenter

I work part-time and was enthusiastically signed up by agencies for supply for my days off. What really annoys me is how supply agencies say they will have loads of work and then it is absolute silence. I have had 1 day of general cover offered since September. 2 agencies even had the nerve to phone and tell me my compliance was running out because I hadn't worked with them for 3 months. Signing up was a complete waste of time so far.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I have had that. Agencies ring you up to tell you that you will have to reregister since you have not worked for them for three or six months. They always ask why you haven't done any work for them and seem put out when you tell them that you have not been offered any!

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Or the flip side, you get a full week lined up but are too ill to work.

Franking chest infection.......letting my antibiotics do their thing.

peter12171 likes this.
  12. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Thanks. I am on the mend, it's just annoying.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, get better soon.

Moony likes this.
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm deffinately on the mend, I'm really noticing it today and I'm on day 3 of my antibiotics. I'm going to be able to work tomorrow so that will be good, and my agency has been fine with me as I've been keeping them updated and given them plenty of time to sort replacements for me on the other days.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. sally_nic

sally_nic New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I've had two and a half days supply in past month.
    I'm p/t three days so it's a top up but it's quite scarce.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Well, I've had 4 days work since the beginning of May.......whoop, whoop!!!

18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

That is more than I have had since May 2015!

19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You need to earn enough in the weeks to carry you over the weeks that you don't work. Next week, or the week after, your Supply work will dry up probably until late September or early October.
    Many Supply Teachers will probably give up over the Summer break and a new lot will join the pool.

pepper5 likes this.
  20. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I've seen a job I'm going to apply for, its education related so not too far away but not a classroom one.

Landofla and pepper5 like this.