1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thinking of all of you out there waiting for the call. I remember it so well. I did 16+ years of supply and in the end sometimes you just have to plan activities as if you weren't expecting to work, but have everything ready in case you were.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

No call :(

agathamorse and thekillers like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Gingerhobo48

Enjoy your day. The weather for outside play looks good - not too hot but pleasant.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

No call for me either, but to put it into perspective for various reasons this is the first day I have been available for work and my agency knew this. I might phone them today to remind them however.

Its still early days yet. Its very unlikely teachers will be out on courses until a full timetable has been run. This allows every teacher to meet every class in every room used (only applies to secondary of course), since many schools operate a two week timetable this hasn't happened yet.

Its also likely thay most teachers (particularly new staff) will try to avoid any sick/personnel leave within this time if they can. Any unfilled vacancies from last term will have supplies in already booked in July.

I'm expecting work to start happening towards the end of this week and am not planning any weekday activities from next week. Training courses for NQTs start in earnest and the considerable stress's of the first two weeks will start taking their toil on other staff. You will also find that some long term supplies might be deciding that the placement they secured in July is not as good as they expected (although that's not always a good sign).

Too early to worry yet and enjoy the Autumn sunshine.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Nor for me yellowflower. I work in secondary. Last year I didn't get anything until the 17th September, so it is still early days. School has only been in session 7 days.

Thank you for your kind and wise words Lara. I think that is the best course of action: have planned things to do and if you get work then it is a bonus.

It does take some time to get busy, so patience is required.

For today I have planned some studying and one or two other things.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Les25paul, thanks for your useful post and description.

We should enjoy the glorious weather while we can - when we get busy, we shall be working hard enough.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The hourly rate is for contact time only, so calculated on five hours per day it is £7:40. Still a bl@@dy insult, even for a 'learning facilitator'.

8. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Wow, well that agency has got a cheek!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Thanks les25paul and pepper5 .... you're right. It's just frustrating to not be working when you really want to!!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unfortunately 'work' and 'supply' aren't always the best of companions.;)

11. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Shame the glorious weather has turned into rain grrr!

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ridiculously hot here - it's like midsummer

agathamorse likes this.
  13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Here as well!

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Ditto. Glorious sunshine all day, but it now looking slightly overcast.

15. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

I had a niggling feeling that I'd get a call today, so I made a little packed lunch and went to bed earlier than I have been. Got a call this morning! School on the other side of my city so I said I'd get a taxi. They offered to pay (result) the kids were lovely (double result) and they've asked me to come back tomorrow (triple result). Really chuffed as I was so nervous this morning!

16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done Chanteuse.

Are you secondary or primary?

The best part of your story is the kids were well behaved. It is always great to have nice classes.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

No call, again! I need the money.

agathamorse and yellowflower like this.
  18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The killers

We know the feeling. Try not to worry and just ensure you are in contact with your agency once per week. If you are able tondo primary and secondary, travel, and cover all subjects you may find you get more work. Are you with two agencies?

agathamorse and thekillers like this.
  19. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Yes to all. Tomorrow's booking has been cancelled due to internal arrangements.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

I'm secondary. Taught two lessons in my own subject and three in another subject that I'm half-decent at, so all-in-all, a great day. They really were - that's always a worry as a supply teacher! I'm just glad I got good feedback from the school, my consultant seemed pleased with me too.

@thekillers I know how you feel about the money. Maybe do what I did and convince yourself you're working tomorrow, do a lunch etc. Worst case scenario you've made yourself a nice lunch to enjoy at home

thekillers, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.