1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. supply456

supply456 New commenter

I'd love to say I'm shocked, but there's really no depths of audacity that some agencies won't plumb to.

No work for me this week and nothing booked in at all so far. After 3 years, I've decided that I'm going to give it until Christmas and if it's not improved, I'll look for something else. Sad really when I've retrained for this, but I need to put food on the table and pay the rent.

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I was paid £195 daily rate well over 10 years ago-plus it soon turned into a permanent job. Hope tey start offering you something decent.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Even if the £35 covers only five hours of contact time, it is still short of the minimum wage. I didn't bother to ask for further details. Asking for 'pro bono' would have been more honest.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

On the other hand JR it would get you back into work.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

That's like telling a battered wife that at least she has a home.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

£35 per day, after deductions, would hardly cover my commuting costs.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I got £60 / day in 1986!

8. Jolly_Roger1

Exactly, @lindenlea! As the old adage has it, 'if you pay peanuts expect monkeys'. Would you do a full-on full time teacher's job for the same rate as the a dinner supervisor is getting paid?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    wicked4u2 likes this.
  9. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

No call yet today. Mild panic starting to set in but hopefully work will start coming in soon!

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I just checked my records and the first day of work I received last September was the 17th. It is too early to panic - only five days into a new term.

les25paul likes this.
  11. asabiy4

asabiy4 New commenter

I am practically new to supply and have started panicking almost regretting not going for permanent before summer break. Is this the norm? someone please help!

agathamorse and yellowflower like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh absolutely the norm. Too many people assume you'll be working almost every day. Which some fortunate people are, but on the whole work in Sept, especially early, is rare. As is work in the final week of each term.

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi asabiy4

Welcome to the forum. I am on the other end of the spectrum of experience since this is starting my 7th year working as a supply teacher.

Don't panic,since that won't help. I do,however, have to admit it is easy to panic.

Remember, schools have been in session only five days. People won't want to start taking days off just yet. Also, teachers may not be going on courses since they are still settling their groups.

Yes, it is entirely normal for the schools not to be busy just yet. You are also new, so haven't had a chance to get repeat bookings. If you are willing and able to take on a long term contract that will give you some continuity of work.

If you are registered with agencies ensure you keep them updated to your availability- once per week is fine.

Depending on the area in which you live, you should get some work fairly shortly.

14. Jolly_Roger1

Stop press: The 'offer' was raised today to £185 per week, which, I suppose more or less makes it minimum wage. Big deal!

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Dividing that by 5 (days in the week) and a 6 hour day that equates to apprx £7 an hour! Isn't minimum wage more than that?

agathamorse likes this.
  16. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Thats a bloody insult to a qualified teacher.

17. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Up and getting ready. Will the phone ring today? This is hard, getting up early only to be disappointed when they don't call. At least I have the distraction of getting my kids up and ready. My 7 year old gets up fine but my 5 year old is not a morning person!

agathamorse likes this.
  18. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I'm in the same situation! I'll give myself a while before I get up and get ready... it really is such a disappointment when there's no call!

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Have a blessed day everyone no matter what you are doing.

20. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Thanks pepper, I have PPA cover Yr2 and Yr1.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.