1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I've got work booked for next Monday and one day in October so far. However, Him Indoors is off work with a dodgy facet joint in his back, so I am attending him with tea and sympathy (and the electronic massager!).
    We're both agency workers, so I could be worried about neither of us currently bringing in money, but I'm confident that the situation will change for both of us before long.
    I'm keeping my double chins up! ;)

agathamorse and thekillers like this.
  2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Chat with the head of a local school next Tuesday about a possibility of something long-term, although I don't know how long Might even be able to complete the NQT year if all's well.

I've been to the school a few times in the past. Not the best I've been to, but by no means the worst.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Thanks mate:)

4. thekillers1

Got some bookings for next week and some more later in the month. Wife's cool about the lack of work this week. Thanks again for the positive comments everyone :)

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

On supply, I pretty much resigned myself to getting nothing in September. Anything was a bonus, but I never planned to work.

Saying that, now that I have a permanent part-time post (not teaching) and am available for supply two days per week, the offers having been rolling in! Yesterday, I was offered a long-term position doing 1:1 English with autistic children (I'd have accept, but the days didn't match my availability), and just today a school right on my doorstep was wanting a full time, long term teacher (a result of their entire English department resigning in May). It seems that the wheels are rather falling off and a lot of local schools seem to be in trouble, unable to appoint full time teachers to replace those who resigned last year - several children that I tutor in different schools report having supply staff to start the new school year.
    Interesting.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. peter12171

I hope that's not the one I'm going to have a chat with the head of on Tuesday!
    :eek::eek::eek:

agathamorse and gingerhobo48 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Like I said - the supply market will be better this year.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I thought my luck had turned, as I was approached through an agency about a month or so at a school about ten miles away. We have reached an impasse as I want to know the rate before committing myself, and the agency wants me to commit before they negotiate the rate.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a tough one. Could you suggest a 'sealed bid' type solution. You will guarantee a 'definite yes provided the pay is not under £xxx'?

10. peter12171

As expected, no work today, so that's the first week done with nothing. Might pop out to an old railway line to do some blackberrying this afternoon :)

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger1

I have tried that but the agency want me to commit to the job before they will negotiate with the school about the rate, or at least, that is what they say! It is like playing poker with an opponent able to see my cards but not me his. I am not holding my breath as I have been at this game for too long to be bothered with this sort of con-ology.

gingerhobo48 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger1

@Lara mfl 05: I have just had this reply from the agency, "I will pick up the conversation next week, as things move so quickly it could change again." It seems I am not negotiating from a position of strength. How I long for those simple days when you could agree that pay rate before you started the job.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. thekillers1

...and had a phone call today for an all day cover. Things are now looking up :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Good luck to you all.... why isn't my phone buzzing? :(

15. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

I'm another one who got a permanent job, told the agencies about it and STILL get pestered, even though I've worked here for just over a year!

Supply teachers - I'm sure it'll pick up once term gets in to full swing. 'Freshers flu' is likely to hit in the next few weeks, as it always does.

Lara mfl 05, pepper5 and yellowflower like this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Urbanfaerie

Well done for getting a permanent job and thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. fantastischfish

Well if it isn't the same school, it's just more proof that a lot of schools are struggling to recruit following lots of resignations in May.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

I received an offer from the agency of £175, which I naively thought was the daily rate. I was soon disabused of this delusion when I found that it was the weekly rate! £35 a day, no way!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

You've got to be joking right?! :mad:

agathamorse likes this.
  20. fantastischfish

£35 per DAY?!? That's not even minimum wage! You'd be better off working in Tesco.

agathamorse likes this.