1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Had a cat nap too. Still, no phone call.

2. thekillers1

Managed to gain work for the end of September and throughout October. Come on phone, do something!

lindenlea likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's a positive.

Remember most staff will be rested and refreshed after the summer and if there are any courses these days they won't be starting yet, so having pre-booked work for the end of the month is better than other people.

4. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

I got a call this morning about an inclusion job, rather than teaching my subject. Bit worried about my NQT years but I'm really intrigued about this job!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Go for it - any work is good work this time of year.

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Go for it. As well as getting some money in it will be useful experience for your NQT year when you get onto it.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

I've put myself forward for it, as I think it'd be great experience and also maybe some evidence for standard 7 in terms of my NQT year. Put me in a much better mood I must say, not to mention the school is about a 5 minute walk from my house!

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. katiebee19894

katiebee19894 New commenter

I'm starting to hate my phone....

I've been round schools today expressing interest in volunteering for them - Helping with reader etc.

They seem keen so I see this as a foot in the door and if anyone says they need cover, I will be in the building as a physical reminder that I am available for supply.

Anything to keep myself busy at this point - I'm so frustrated...

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

I've done thsi years ago and it did lead to work. Though it took a while.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Don't worry.

Next week it will pick up and then steadily start to get busier.

wicked4u2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I really really really hope so :-(

wicked4u2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I was going to the seaside tomorrow, but unfortunately I am now booked for the rest of the week. Damn!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's a shame - the weather is going to be lovely for the rest of this week.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Let's swap?!

thekillers likes this.
  15. thekillers1

Day 4 and the phone has yet to ring...!

16. thekillers1

...and you're complaining because...?!

17. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

There was no work at all for me in the first week of the summer term, and then it started to roll in...don't panic!

wicked4u2 and pepper5 like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

It's still very early days yet. Normally I never expected work to start coming in till the end of this month. wait till you get half-way through Oct. and then start to get worried.

I have no experience with agencies, but I know people do contact them to 'remind them' of their existence and check there isn't anything.

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely do not panic as lulu57 suggests. In some areas of the country, this is only day four - people have just gone back.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

No work today for me either. I decided yesterday if I didn't get a call I would put my leggings and t shirt on and go cycling. I did 20k yesterday and 15k today. I have work tomorrow because the pre booked person is unable to go, then nothing else. I will try keep the cycling up while I have no work.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.