1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Fools gold.

2. thekillers1

****ing ring, please!!!!!!!!

3. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Well, I've done all the getting-ready malarkey and am now sitting up in bed in my nightie, reading a Philippa Gregory. No actual getting dressed until after the phone rings! (It's 2 minutes max to throw on a dress).

4. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

What can I say? I have eclectic tastes! ;)

thekillers likes this.
  5. thekillers1

The agency has no work yet. Boo! :(

6. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Good luck everyone. If the phone doesn't ring, just treat it as the start to your long weekend :p

7. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

It's still only week 2 - the lurgy will start to rear its ugly head soon (just watch u don't get it!).

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Some agency 'consultants', have no concept of travelling conditions in this country. I have had calls after 8 a.m. asking me if I could get to a school on the borders of East London and Essex, on the assurance that it will only be ' a quick zip around the M 25'.

pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I might have to try that ;)

pepper5, lulu57 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  10. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

:D:D:D You'd get a good response especially in reception. They would either think you were really getting into dressing up or that perhaps you were going to 'hot seat' a character from a well known tale. The big bad wolf dressed as grandma from Red Riding Hood anyone ?;):D.

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  11. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

If Pete did turn up in a dress, I wonder if a Head teacher would have the right to turn him away....?

thekillers and gingerhobo48 like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Guys

The fact that some day-to-day supply work is available in the second week of the academic year should be very encouraging.

We already have quite a few staff off ill today !

13. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Your prophecy seems to be coming true, Oh Peaky-One! Do your skills as a seer extend to the lottery perhaps....?

les25paul and gingerhobo48 like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

For the lottery you must talk to my Mum - she's won quite a bit of money on it over the years. Not to mention the fact that despite knowing nothing about horses she invariably manages to pick the winner of the national and other races..

You think I'm kidding -a few years ago she gave me her tip for the Derby - I put a tenner on it

It won - at 50 to 1

15. thekillers1

Day 19, and @thekillers awaits a phone call from the agency... :-\

pepper5 likes this.
  16. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Tomorrow morning.... wait and watch. Come on lurgies.... do your thing!! :D

thekillers likes this.
  17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi thekillers

We are all thinking of you and all others who need work. It is still,however, early days.

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The killers are you looking for a long term contract? If you secure a long term post that would take off some of the pressure of waiting for the day to day phone call.

thekillers likes this.
  19. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I used to do supply years ago before I got a permanent job, so still check this forum. I can remember the feeling of waiting for the phone to ring, but just wanted to agree with the posters on here that supply is slow at this time of year, so don't worry if you haven't had work yet. My school hasn't really had any staff absence yet, but it will start to kick in over the next few weeks. Keep ringing your agency, contact schools directly (my department found their last supply teacher by someone contacting us), and do be prepared to travel. Someone said they wouldn't travel an hour, but I travel for an hour there and an hour back every day for my job and its better than not being in work. If you need the money, take what's out there for the next couple of weeks until more work is available.

gingerhobo48, les25paul and pepper5 like this.
  20. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Fingers crossed for everyone tomorrow. I accidentally dropped my phone in a car park and drove over it today and left it in the car park. Luckily a kind person picked it up and rang my mum (it still works although I have no idea how!) I was panicking about how the agency will call me tomorrow but i don't need to now, phew!

thekillers likes this.