1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers, Sep 6, 2016.

1. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

No work. Sitting here, typing on computer, waiting for the phone to ring whilst I hear my neighbours jumping into their cars and driving off to work. Boo!

sebedina, pepper5 and yellowflower like this.
  2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You get resigned to it, after a couple of years.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is always the most difficult time in supply- waiting for the phone to ring. Then when you do get it , the mad dash to get yourself out the door and to the school on time.

4. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

In exactly the same situation... I hate that I'm not working just like everyone else at the minute!!!

pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  5. thekillers

I look forward to this.

sebedina likes this.
  6. thekillers

My wife's out working, nothing else to do. This sucks! I'm going to make lunch and wash the car.

7. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Was expecting no work this week so planned lots of errands chores etc.
    Had a call from an agency offering 3 weeks work from end Sept in my own subject, so doesn't seem too dire. Had work most days last year up to the end of term despite a slow start last September - mostly because I had approached direct schools - would have been thinner if only agency work.
    Having said that, am getting fed up with being despised by staff and students alike 'we've got supply!' so have an interview later this week for an FT job in an entirely different profession (one that I worked in before re-training as a teacher). if I get it, will gladly chalk the 2 years of supply up to experience and move on... Otherwise will stick with it but keep looking for another non-teaching job.

sebedina, peakster, wicked4u2 and 4 others like this.
  8. Om100

Om100 New commenter

Just like yourself Pizzo I am on an M10 permanently and get work every single day at 300 pounds a day.

That must make people stupid then if they don't get the same

Go on. gloat some more!

Mrs-Pip and thekillers like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

pepper5 and schoolsout4summer like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know what having no work to go to feels like, When I was on supply if the phone didn't ring I'd drive my wife and daughter in to their various work and college. My wife works at a very busy hospital and I would watch people scurrying back and to and wished I had somewhere productive to do. The feeling lasted for a few weeks until I started to get some days.

But it's something you don't forget and makes you grateful when the work starts to come again.

11. yellowflower

Soooo...I've told myself there's no work for me tomorrow. I've made lots of plans. I'm no longer on "alert mode". You know what's going to happen right?!

agathamorse, pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  12. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I am surprised the phone hasn't rung yet. Despite returning to industry (and telling all the agents) it didn't stop them ringing me all through the summer!!
    On a serious note, I really hope work picks up for you guys...Industry is a volatile employer and I could find myself back in supply at relatively short notice...

13. Lara mfl 05

I remember a number of years back when I'd been on standby waiting for the call and decided there probably wasn't going to be any in September so decided to start decorating the hall.
    You've guessed it wearing my 'paint-covered clothes the phone rang.;)

14. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

This week I'll be getting up early and waiting for the call...which won't come, so I'll be in civvies. From next week I'll be up and ready - work clothes, sandwiches made etc - as things might pick up a bit. Wait until about 8.30; usually any work will have been called in by then.

15. yellowflower

Hahahaha that's so funny. Why is that always the case?!

wicked4u2 likes this.
  16. yellowflower

Aah I'm going to take note for next week, thanks! You're lucky... us ladies have to think about the hair and face too

17. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am up and ready by 7, then back in slobbing about clothes by 9! I am looking at doing something freelance while I wait for work, has anyone else done this?

pepper5 likes this.
  18. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

Blow it - the weather forecast is good for tomorrow - I'm turning off the alarm! Going to have a lie-in and read a book in the garden!

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  19. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

"I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house" Nathaniel Hawthorne

A borrowed quote. Take a bit of time to enjoy this amazing time of year. Then either the work will come in- or something else will happen.

wicked4u2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

Still lying in bed - a lie-in has to be taken seiously or not done at all! Then I think I'll have brekky, dye my hair, then read Ender's Game outside.
    Total minutes preparing for work = 0. I love these stolen days the best. If I was an animal, I'd be a cat, because they know how to relax!