1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work left

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mancminx, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I know as supply teachers we are supposed to take our own stuff just in case nothing is left, but, its so annoying when there is sweet FA.
    I think teachers who dont leave anything are just so ******* lazy.

2. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I know as supply teachers we are supposed to take our own stuff just in case nothing is left, but, its so annoying when there is sweet FA.
    I think teachers who dont leave anything are just so ******* lazy.

3. Yes probably lazy but I would much rather do my own thing for the day and give the kids an interesting, fun "one-off" day than follow someone else's plans which so often don't even make sense or you can't even find the resources for!

4. I have been booked by a school that asked for my to provide a "fun day" for the children so that they could have great day.
    Anther school just gives me the Learning Objectives and tells me to do my own thing. I like that. I prefer to teach using my methods and if possible props rather than rely on copying another's approach to the lesson.

5. I had work set today by a teacher for Maths classes in a school I often visit, but it was the same work-sheet for classes in Years 7,8,9,and 11. If Ofsted had dropped in, they would have had a field day.

6. I'm not sure how they can get away with it. In my last full time post, and in the one before that , my planning was checked weekly by senior management. In job interviews they go on and on about planning. Most teachers that I work with do planning a week ahead and then adjust as and when. It is fun to do one's own thing as a supply teacher but planning left by the regular class teacher provides for continuity. Sure, some planning is worse than " no work left". A complicated plan written two years prior requiring non-existent resources should be ignored. (I just love it when you go to do a lesson about circuitry and find that all of the batteries are dead.)Also, a pile of worksheets is not planning and is an insult to the children.
    In the end, we have got deal with it somehow and, hopefully, put a little bit of our own personalities into each and every day.

7. I went to a school that left worksheets for each lesson and was then told by the head to ensure that I kept to the teachers lesson plans! The day was so boring and I find that worksheets dont really help behaviour management - the kids hate it!

From my 5 year old sons point of view - they had a supply teacher the other day, he said he had to sit on the carpet all day!!

8. I suppose it shows the ineptness of depts.

I mean, if there is a late night emergency and someone's wife goes into labour then I would not expect them to ring into school and set work.

But there are thoose lazy f/t. colleagues wholeave nuffin' and then expect us topickup the piece whilst the kids run amok!

One of the best schools I have done supply in insists that teachers leave lesson plans - as if they were TEACHING the lesson so I go in and follow the plans. The minutes are even written down for each activity. This is a rare school.It does not employ cover supervisors - most of whom would probably flounder when confronted with an actual lesson plan.

9. I think that schools should leave the planning - obviously not as easy if a teacher is poorly, but the teacher I was covering on Monday managed to email the planning into the school - I think also that schools should get the teachers to have their planning in the classrooms, so that if a situation like this occurs then supply teachers can look at what is left!! As supply teachers we are meant to fit into the school to cover the class, so is easier to do the work which follows on with what the children are doing - I just put my 'own twist' to what has been left - there's nothing wrong with that!!!

10. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

What would supply prefer?-

Detailed to the letter plans expected to be followed (i.e day notes) with reosurces
    or
    Detailed planning with freedom to put own touch to it (teacher's plans) with resources
    or
    Just objectives and freedom
    or
    Holding activities- i.e. worksheets
    or
    Nothing- do you own thing!

I leave the first two normally depending on whether I know the supply who coming or not, with resources to hand. Supplies have written thanks as if it is a rarity.

If i was a supply, I'd like objectives with basic resources so I could improvise my own thing- i.e ks1 maths number objective- piles of cubes etc, no squares, paper, teddies, arrow cards, no fans......

Thinking of my workload, part of me would LOVE supplies to come in with own thing (would save me hours in preparation for days out on courses!!). I'm always unsure as to what 'level' to rewrite plans out, or to just attach my own planning. Don't want to dumpl supply in it, nor be too prescriptive.

What do you think?

11. I was left no work this afternoon, which actually suited me as I have just bought myself a couple of book "Thinking stories" by Mike Fleetham, and "Outside the Box" by Molly Potter, and I was anxious to try the ideas out. But normally I am happy just to be left the teacher's planning, it's generally enough to give you a direction to go in I think I would find a whole day with no planning at all a bit tough.
    What would be useful is the names of 1 or 2 children who could be relied upon to find paper for you, know where the pencils are and know what the routines are.

12. I have just spent two hours preparing work for tomorrows supply. I have left every in great detail. This is expected of us as the supplies complain if we don't. What do other teachers do when they are out ?. I have left my normal planning, on trust it will be done as I would.
    I have heard that some schools leave no work as teh supply is paid a great deal for one day. Vies please. When I did supply I always had my own resources to hand just in case, but that rarely happens with the supplies we get.
    One we had even refused to teach an Infant class because she was told the week before that that the class she was teaching was Junior. "I won't do Infants" was her reply. The change happened only because the staff member had been taken ill and the decision had been made to split the Junior class.

2 | Posted by: robertsclark at 16 Oct 2007 10:39

I suppose it depends how much control you want over what the children do. We are told to leave learning objectives for supply teachers and they then think up the activity. I usually leave more than that but don't plan in as much detail as you obviously have. As for the one who wouldn't do the class she was asked to do, I'm guessing your school won't have her back - you soon start to find the better supply teachers.

3 | Posted by: LucyD84 at 16 Oct 2007 11:17

i've just started work as a supply teacher ..on my first day i was left very good detailed plans (apart from P.E where i was told i could do my own thing.) I have to say i much prefer to have detailed plans left..not because i want an "easy life" but because its hard to know what the children have already done and what ability level they are at. I don't expect word for word detailed explanations of the whole day- but its helpful to have some idea of what the teacher would like you to do.

I do also carry my own resources/work around with me- however when you sometimes get called very late in the morning its hard to get to school early enough to have any time to photocopy/prepare work etc (then theres the issue of not having codes for the photocopier etc!!) So i have a few ideas that don't involve any worksheets/photocopying!

personally i am early years trained and i therefore am only called to teach FS/KS1 (however i did do year 3 and am doing year 3/4 on Thursday.) I think its acceptable to have a preferred age range..after all i dont really have any experience with children above year 2- and i feel year 6 would be very different to teach. Its not so bad if work is left for you- but i think i would find it hard to turn up one morning, be told i have to teach year 6 and think of something off the top of my head..as i dont really know what level year 6 children are working at!

it seems a bit odd to turn up and say you wont teach any infants. i could maybe understand them saying no to reception if most of their experience is with juniors- but like i said im FS/KS1 trained and am willing to venture into the unknown world of year 3/4! i would however rather not teach 5 or year 6. Mainly because i want to have a good day and do a good job of teaching your class!

4 | Posted by: upsadaisy at 16 Oct 2007 13:03

When I was supply teaching I did expect planning to be left. I could be teaching Nursery on Monday and Year 6 on Tuesday. Sometimes without any advance warning if covering an illness. I did not carry around enough work to cover all year groups. It was much easier to read a planning file and go from there than to root through books to see if the children were learning plants in science, money in maths etc!

As a full time teacher I would rather my children have structured lessons that follow on with what I am teaching. Not random lessons on a topic I wasn't covering.

And you as the teacher are paid more than a supply! Supply teachers generally earn about £115 per day. Do you assume that it is your responsibility to make the teacher earn her money by not leaving planning?

Besides which one would assume you would have done the planning for that day in your weekly plan and should only have to leave a few more details for a supply teacher.

5 | Posted by: stratford1 at 16 Oct 2007 13:12

when i worked in the uk I would always leave out the planning for that day and the work ready for the supply. my planning is always on display so if it was because i was ill, it was easy to find out what was meant to be taught. when i have had students in my class i always tell them to plan in enough detail to make sure that anyone can just pick up their plans and teach, as you never know when you might be off ill, or out on a course etc

6 | Posted by: dizziblonde at 16 Oct 2007 17:18

I always leave fairly detailed plans - but when I did supply last I got variation from detailed plans (and session times - please God someone tell us those!), to scraps of paper which could be in Esperanto for all the sense they made to me, to nothing at all.

Where I am at the moment we plan in year group pairs so the partner teacher can always brief a supply on the work we are covering (or at least the objective if the person with the worksheets is off), which makes life easier.

7 | Posted by: Thisislondon at 16 Oct 2007 17:46

supply teachers are not paid a great deal for one day they earn no more and often a lot less than permanent staff. If it is a planned absence then work should be left, plans are fine but if leaving art or dt plans it is helpful if you actually indicate where equipment might be found!

Alsi If i was booked for y6 and then told I was in y2 I would be irritated as I prepare for whichever year I am teaching and bring in my appropriate files, time fillers etc for that age group.

I can't believe if you have done supply that you would seriously post that sypply teachers get paid a great deal!

8 | Posted by: rach1968 at 16 Oct 2007 18:02

I'm glad I supply at the 3 schools I am doing all of my supply teaching in. It is quite difficult being a supply teacher (I am an NQT and so don't have a huge bank of ideas to fall back on) and the pay is certainly not great. I usually do pre-booked work and always look to see what the core subjects 'may' be doing that term/week so that I can at least prepare something. I also always try to go into school before hand to see if work is being left and what it might be - although sometime I can't because I have been working all the week before and don't have time. I really appreciate having plans and resources of some description but art and dt is definitely the worst - no way would I lug loads of resources for this around - too expensive for a start! I can't understand why anyone would moan about having to leave plans when they should already be done - at least the medium term should be (and I would be grateful even for that). Some people don't realise how daunting it can be not having anything to go by, I know I feel much more confident if I know what I'm teaching.

rach1968

9 | Posted by: lisamarie310883 at 16 Oct 2007 19:18

I leave detailed plans - extra detailed. Plus timetable of the day that follows my routine exactly and any tips and advice needed. Never leave PE, Art, DT - I don't think it's fair to expect someone with no relationships with the chn to have to try and do such subjects. And because they don't know the kids, my expectations or their levels (through no fault of their own), it is never to a high enough quality. I leave structured work that is well explained. Always spend much more time setting up for supply then I need to do for myself.

I do feel supply should have something on standby to fill time, or I make sure they know where the class book is.

I just bear in mind, I want the chn to have a good day filled with leaarning as usual and how can I help this happen.

10 | Posted by: Loony tunes at 16 Oct 2007 19:45

I'm a supply teacher and if it was an advanced booking, I'd expect teachers to leave at least some vague idea of what they wanted me to do. I do have plenty of my own resources and have a stacker box in my boot that works as my mobile storeroom so I'm prepared whatever the situation when I arrive. Often I'm booked for one year group and turn up to find I'm with another so it is difficult to plan sometimes and without knowing what the children have already done but I can always do something. However, when a teacher knows they are not going to be there, I think that they should do some planning, otherwise I just feel like I'm babysitting for a day rather than giving any valuble input to the children.

I do have a problem with supplys who act like the one mentioned previously-that gives us all a bad name. As the the £115 a day I WISH!!! Depending on whether I'm working for an agency or LEA my daily pay is between £75-100. Then there are all the days when I don't have work and the huge holidays with no pay at all. I'm frequently at my overdraft limit and would love to have the income of a regular teacher! (and a regular teacher's job while we're at it!)

13. Thought you might like to see other views on leaving work for supply teachers. I wouldn't say that not leaving work makes a teacher lazy though !!

14. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I was more concerned (honestly) about the effect it had on the chn when i made reference to the absent teacher being lazy. Sure as the chns full time teacher you would want to ensure continuity...

15. I agree - I would've thought that the teacher would feel happier if she/he knew that the supply teacher was doing work which follwed on, rather than just random stuff to fill up the day - we've got to remember who's important here - the children!!!!! They need continuity and progression in learning - a friend of mine is covering a year 4 class whose teacher has gone on a week long residential and left absolutely NO work for her!!! It's not like it was an unplanned absence (which is completely understandable if no planning is left ie. sickness) but for the teacher who obviously knew she wouldn't be in the class for a week to leave no planning what-so-ever is just unacceptable!!!

I realise that teachers have a lot to do and dont want to be spending ages doing plans. She's in an 80% EAL school, so has no idea of standard of children - is that really fair???

(Sorry rant over)

I must say I've been lucky have only once had early morning call, so all of my bookings have been in advance with planning!!! Even the Early morning one managed to get planning into school!!!

16. PPJ

PPJ

I don't mind if planning is left or not, as long as I know before I walk into a room. Have been known to plan in the shower after early morning call!
    Very frustrating to be told planning will be left and then find nothing- thank goodness for games like 'Heads down, thumbs up' while I quickly sort out something to do.

17. If it's reception to year three, I'm happy to do my own thing. I have enough resources, ideas etc to do whole days. Above yr3 I like plans as that's not where my strengths necessarily lie.

If work is booked in advance, then I do generally expect there to be plans, and for any photocopying to have been prepared too - just because it can take an age sorting out photocopier, codes, jammed paper, queues etc.

Also, as most teachers are expected to have planned the week in advance (obviously I'm aware that plans change etc) there's no real excuse (unless its a monday) for not having plans available in the classroom - I used to give a copy to my LSA and have one on the wall so it could be found easily.

But... (and yes, I know this is a post full of contradictions, its like thinking while typing!) it is great to do the things you know you're good at, that motivate the children, and that show you off as a fab supply teacher!

18. I think if supply is booked in advance, then quite detailed planning should be left. We can't possibly be expected to have detailed knowledge of every subject for each year group. I know I feel more at ease if planning is left, and so teach better. Like mrst said, the important thing here is the children and their learing. While they might enjoy a 'fun theme day', it isn't really going to move their learning forward is it?
    Maybe once I've done more supply, I'll be able to do more things off-the-cuff. Even so, I still have resources for different year groups that I take with me just in case.
    As for pay on supply, it may seem good at first glance but the daily rate is supposed to take into account holiday pay but it doesn't take into account the days when we just don't have any work!
    I'd juust like to say a big THANK YOU to those full-time teachers who have posted on here who have been so considerate to their supply teachers. It really is appreciated!

19. Hi.. I am a trainee teacher, but am currently not on placement. I have an interview with a supply agency on Wednesday, the bloke said he would be able to get me some work.. I would assume that it would be (dreaded phrase coming up, so look away now if you are squeamish) cover supervisor work since I am all unqualified and stuff.

As such, I would not be expected to plan work, would I? Please say no!

20. To the Poster who was annoyed with the teacher who didn't leave work for them. I spent 2 hours preparing work for my supply. This is what happened. Went into day to see how things went with the supply and my class. There was a four pupil fight which the supply told another was a play !!.
    Class teacher next door went in because the supply was sounding stressed.
    Work was not marked or stuck in books.
    Kids had a plethora of stories to tell about this child and that child and how they behaved for the supply. Paper Recycling bin is rather full with all the work !!
    Our Supplies are LEA provided so this one was paid £150 before Tax. Arrived at 8.45 and left at 3.20 !!!