1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work from supply-can I terminate my contract?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ajordand29, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ajordand29

ajordand29 New commenter

Hi all,

I’ve recently signed up with a supply agency. I’ve had no work from them so far. I’m worried as I’m a lone parent and can’t afford to have irregular work. I have applied for a full time teaching post. My questions are...can I terminate my supply contract now as I haven’t had any work? Will I have to work any notice even though I’ve not had any work? And will the school be expected to pay a fee or have me work my notice with the agency if they hire me if I haven’t had any work through the agency yet? TIA

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The only way the school would be required to pay any fee is if the agency is involved through introducing you to the school.

If you have found the job yourself with no assistance through an agency, then the school does not have to pay anything.

You don't have to give any notice to the agency - just tell them you are now unavailable for supply work, but should things change, you will be in contact.

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

You can sign up with as many agencies as you want
    You can simply stop working for them whenever you want.
    If you are not in a classroom teaching you are not working for them

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Your agency is not your employer, so you are under no obligation to give any notice. You should tell them why you want your details removed from their database. There's no point in hanging around. There are too many agencies in education all chasing the same jobs, so unless you're signed up with all of them, it's a complete lottery. It would make far more sense if the sector were far more centralised and administered by a non profit making statutory provider.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Amen

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Just forget about this agency, as it seems to have forgotten about you.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.