1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No wonder schools can't afford real teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Jun 13, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I've just taken a look at the leadership team listing for my old school, which was once very good, with students fighting for admission, and is now mediocre and desperate to grab any students it can get. It's also always whining about how short it is of money.

Now in my day there was just a head and deputy head, but now in addition to these there are FIVE assistant head teachers:
    1. Pastoral care and welfare
    2. Director of 6th form
    3. Data and achievement
    4. Operations and pupil premium strategy
    5. Teaching and learning, CPD
    And, additionally, there is a business manager. AND, then there are a further 36 support staff, the titles of which only 6 or so (such as science technician) would have been recognised in my day.

If this obscenely bloated management and admin burden is common in most schools then it's no small wonder that they don't want to pay for decent teachers, or get enough so that they can work reasonable hours.

Get rid of all these parasites and then, maybe, schools will be able to employ the right people!

2. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Yep, teacher workload got a lot worse in our school about ten years ago when they introduced assistant heads to SLT. Each of them has to show they are leading in something or other. So while they have a very light timetable they generate meaningless, ineffectual work for the rest of us in order to justify their existence. We also have lots more administrators to support them in this.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

There is space for non-teacher roles for the compliance areas. There is certainly more record keeping and administration these days. However, those roles don’t need to recompensed at large executive salaries. Same with a business manager. HOD salary is more than enough.

Do people recall the days when a head and two deputies ran the whole school?

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

I think you're all confused over the school's Achievement Plan
    "To look good to OFSTED"
    which wouldn't be so bad if OFSTED actually cared about the intangible things that make schools decent .............

SundaeTrifle and MarieAnn18 like this.
  5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I worked at a school that was outstanding, the HT went off to train to be a priest; leaving a management of HT and two deps. Within a year the trendy type who followed installed an extra dep and 13 (thirteen) assistant heads. As mentioned by Sundae, this led to a proliferation of requests for data, extra work, things for class teachers to check and report upon.
    In the end, all the class teachers just put all initial requests direct into the bin and responded if asked repeatedly or if they saw the point of the request.
    The new head lasted less than two years; in which time the school sunk to grade 3 Ofsted and effectively went bust.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Presumably if you had a school teacher workforce made up of 80% experienced teachers you’d not need all these junior managers to manage all the problems that crop up with an 80% teaching workforce in which the average experience was 3 years.

In fact, you’d cope really well with a head and two deputies. I may yet be a trad yet...

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Established commenter

I can't believe I actually liked one of your posts @David Getling but you are spot on! My experience is that the numbers of support staff have declined, however I'm seeing more non teaching roles being created to cover traditional teacher responsibilities (like head of year). Could some of the job descriptions you saw be like this?

Mrsmumbles and -Maximilian- like this.
  8. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Welcome to academisation!

MarieAnn18 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 New commenter

10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 New commenter

I recall the days when a head and ONE deputy ran the school. This was in the days before computer and the many and numerous 'issues' students have today requiring a large team of pastoral support staff.

catbefriender and MarieAnn18 like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

After our school became an academy, the levels of management and the number of managers in each one of these burgeoned. One day, we worked out that each teacher, out side of their departments, had at least four people telling them what to do, how to do it, and demanding work from them. Crazy!

catbefriender and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

I know of a two form entry primary school which currently cannot afford to buy glue sticks and has just restructured to have:

Executive Head (this school + 1 other in MAT)
    Head of School
    Deputy Head of School
    2 x Assistant Head of School
    SENCO

All on leadership scale. Ridiculous.

catbefriender and MarieAnn18 like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Does al, this compliance crud come from America? I hate comliance! It sounds all decent and reasonable, but in reality, it ties you up in red tape and stops you getting things done. Overkill by unimaginative jobsworths.

14. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

That is exactly my point. My old school was a very good one with just a head and a deputy, and one secretary/receptionist to deal with all the paper work: and she wasn't run off her feet.