1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No win no fee?..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Scottsdan2012, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Scottsdan2012

Scottsdan2012 New commenter

This is just a little plea for advice.. I lost my job earlier this year after 10 years with an organisation. Sacked for gross misconduct with no notice period, quite brutally. I had to go to a tribunal to get paid my entitled holiday otherwise I’d have been given only 3 days pay! I’ve admitted some faults, it wasn’t safeguarding related, just professional practice mostly for an additional role which I wasn’t allocated additional hours for so throughout it felt like the decision was in the balance. I feel I’ve been dealt with quite harshly, the union were an emotional support but I felt maybe they weren’t ‘hardball’ enough at times. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with any lawyers who might provide an assessment for free or take a 50/50 case on? I’ve got a job already and am gradually recovering from what was an emotionally difficult time but just thought, you know the organisation should sweat a little.

2. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Can't help but what job did you move into?

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Have you tried your household insurance to see if they give you cover?

4. Scottsdan2012

Same sort of thing I’m afraid (no great escape) but I’m not in schools (a sort of private college) so references just from ex colleagues who felt I wasn’t all that bad...

d_fahey likes this.
  5. Scottsdan2012

No, I didn’t realise that was ‘a thing’ so thanks for the tip...I’ll check it out..In reality I was probably only out of paid work for a month but I seem to have burnt through my meagre savings rather quickly!

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Did your Union rep suggest that you might have a case? If so why did they not refer it to their solicitors?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The best revenge is to go on and be happy and successful elsewhere.

8. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

I can help. As I’ve been in a similar situation. I got legal help from a qualified legal aid (friend), so if you want to pm I can help you.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No direct experience but just to say (with my 'Forum guide' hat on) that if another TES member wants to suggest a specific law firm to you it can only be done through a PM. TES don't allow law firms (or schools) to be named on open forum.

You say you have already taken the school to Employment Tribunal and won a judgement against them, but only on the peripheral issue of holiday pay owing. Did Tribunal consider the central issue of whether your dismissal for Gross Misconduct was unfair? And if so did they decide it was fair? If your claim at Tribunal was unsuccessful on the main grounds of claim (Unfair dismissal etc) I fear you may be clutching at straws and about to waste much emotional energy in pursuing this.

10. Scottsdan2012

To be honest they at first thought it would be a slap on the wrist. Throughout they seemed positive and then my caseworker was away for my hearing and the chap seemed to be quite pessimistic. I felt throughout that I was wanted rid of (been there a while, different pay grade etc) but I didn’t feel they shared my concern. That’s why I’m searching for an option outside of union to be honest.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  11. Scottsdan2012

I am relatively happy with my lot and couldn’t imagine working in that environment again, I sort of want to make life difficult for the people who seemed quite vindictive about the terms of my dismissal. It was like a group egging each other on to really break me. I’m fairly calm about it now and getting there with my new start..

12. Scottsdan2012

That would be great! I can’t seem to message you though? There doesn

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's because you are a new member and TES doesn't allow new members to send PMs immediately. But if someone else sends you a PM you will be able to reply.

14. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Yes. I messaged op first. Thanks for clarification to other new members also.

15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I can understand that feeling. It's about wanting to stand up for yourself and to make sure they don't get away Scott free with what they have done. To hold them to account.