1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No Win No Fee Compensation - is it worth pursuing?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilypot, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    I know these 'no win no fee' things are not everyone's cup of tea - and I'm actually one of them as I always refer to it as some sort of Americanism / suing state thing.
    But, as I sit here with my leg in plaster, I'm starting to worry about not working / financial loss and wondering if it's worth pursuing one of these.
    I basically slipped on black ice on a pavement (but not a main road pavement if that makes sense - a pavement that goes towards a back road where there's a park and pond etc). I broke my ankle on both sides and it was a pretty traumatic break involving operation and plates and pins on both sides.
    My head is pestering me to come back - even if I can sit in the classroom, but I know this is not going to help recovery considering I am in a non-weight bearing cast and just walking (or hopping!) to the loo absolutely exhausts me.
    Is it worth going for or will they laugh at me and say, don't be silly, we can't salt every pavement, especially one that isn't even along a main road!

2. Hi
    I know these 'no win no fee' things are not everyone's cup of tea - and I'm actually one of them as I always refer to it as some sort of Americanism / suing state thing.
    But, as I sit here with my leg in plaster, I'm starting to worry about not working / financial loss and wondering if it's worth pursuing one of these.
    I basically slipped on black ice on a pavement (but not a main road pavement if that makes sense - a pavement that goes towards a back road where there's a park and pond etc). I broke my ankle on both sides and it was a pretty traumatic break involving operation and plates and pins on both sides.
    My head is pestering me to come back - even if I can sit in the classroom, but I know this is not going to help recovery considering I am in a non-weight bearing cast and just walking (or hopping!) to the loo absolutely exhausts me.
    Is it worth going for or will they laugh at me and say, don't be silly, we can't salt every pavement, especially one that isn't even along a main road!

3. I'm also considering doing this. I rang one of these hideous companies and got an idea of whether they thought I had a case. [​IMG] It was no skin off my nose to call them and describe what happened and now I am mulling over what to do next. (I'm reluctant because I slipped at a hotel I'm very fond of and my family goes there for all of its weddings, funerals and every other excuse to get drunk... and because, well, 'accidents happen'. Then again, of course, I'm losing money because as an NQT, my sick pay entitlement doesn't cover my whole absence and it's been a major bloody pain in the backside!)
    What do you have to lose by ringing one of these companies and seeing what they make of your chances of success? Then, according to the ones I rang, you have three years from the date of the accident to make your claim. Good luck! x

4. ha ha! I've just come off the phone from one of those hideous companies! They said that I had a claim worth investigating - but then they probably say this to everyone. It does make me think that I have nothing to lose, just sitting here with nothing better to do.
    I will mull it over and talk to OH and see what he thinks - he might just see the £££ as a good excuse (which is partly why I dislike these companies as I consider myself as someone who has always worked hard for their money, so to make money out of an unfortunate accidents always seems slightly ethically wrong....).
    But there's no doubt, the money would come in mightily handy.....
    Good luck to you too! x