1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No voice!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hoodedbrowser, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Following quite a bad allergic reaction to my cousin's cat last Sunday, I had an asthma attack, since which my voice has gone. My throat feels dry but not too sore and I've developed a dry hacking cough. Because of the dryness, my asthma keeps triggering and I feel like I'm in a non-stop cycle.
    I took last week off work but was hoping to return this week. I was at the doctor's on Friday for something unrelated and the GP was a bit taken aback by how I'd lost my voice, but, as I said, I was there for something unrelated so it wasn't discussed much.
    I was hoping to return to work this week but the symptoms persist :-(
    Has anyone else lost their voice in a similar fashion? I would just like some indication of how long this might last for.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No - but you can't work like that, you could damage your voice forever.

You need to go back to the doctor to get signed off.

3. As much as I don't like it, I know you're right. I teach pupils with severe learning difficulties and voice is everything! It's not just the teaching though, you simply can't avoid talking when you're at work - people ask questions or speak to you etc. I've had so much time off this year with the CFS/ME symptoms that I feel awful for not being in - but guilt won't bring my voice back!

4. DO NOT TRY TO TALK!!
    That is the end of my cross bit [​IMG].
    You can do some serious long term damage to your voice if you try to talk and communicate with no voice. You must go and see someone about this. In the meantime avoid any cough syrups, throat sweets etc. Wrap yourself up in a scarf and drink lots of lukewarm fluids. If you have it to hand start the morning with warm water mixed with honey lemon and ginger.
    I have seen the damaage that can be done by people who have tried to carry on with no voice and it wasn't good. One friend lost his for 18 months and had to have regular speech therapy to learn to talk with the long term damage.

5. Yikes! 18 months, that doesn't sound good. I'm drinking loads of water at room temperature and not taking anything for it (sweets/meds). I live on my own, so not talking is pretty much a given unless the phone rings!
    I just don't understand how the hell I've lost it in the first place. I mean, it was the last day of the half term holiday so it's not as if I'd overused it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my asthma or my thyroid (underactive) - surely it can't just be from a cat allergy!

6. casper

casper New commenter

Rub vick on your neck and wrap your neck up so it is nice and warm for a while.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Hi PFF - fancy seeing you here!
    What PFF said. And avoid caffeine and spicy food. But most of all, DON'T TRY TO TALK.
    The threat of the nasty camera thing they put up your nose and down your throat to check these things out should be more than enough to convince you not to speak. Take it from one who knows. 5 years on, I still have a microphone to wear, and have days when I stay off school and sit silently at home. You only get one set of vocal cords.

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

That was what I said - it was the end of the summer in my case. I couldn't speak til after an operation and a term off :-(

9. I went back to the doc's yesterday mainly for a sick note for this week, but also, whatever is going on with my voice has begun to exacerbate my asthma. Anyway, when I told her I'd been off last week and would need a sick note for at least two more days, she asked what I did. As soon as I croaked the word "teacher" out of my mouth, she responded by saying "There's NO way you can go back to work like that!" and promptly signed me off for another week. I was told in no uncertain terms to go back on Friday or a further sick note if it is no better as I can NOT teach like this.
    I am also to return if the chest tightness does not improve/gets worse.
    I suppose what surprised me is just how adamant and stern the doc was about me not trying to teach with a knackered voice. I think she knows the same people as PFF :)

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

PFF probably put the frighteners on her!
    I remember very well my consultant telling me that I was risking serious and permanent damage, and that I might have to reconsider my career. That put the frighteners on me good and proper!
    Hope you're better soon x

11. [​IMG] Hi sleepyhead.
    I blame years of drama and vocal training for my very strict approach when it comes to protecting voices!

12. Well, two weeks on and it's still gone! I've just been back to the doctor's and been signed off for another week. It is soooooo frustrating!
    To add insult to injury, my ME symptoms have flared up again - doc says this is probably due to the inflamed larynx.
    Ah well, I suppose the world is a bit quieter without me yapping.