1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No voice - teacher dilemma

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Teapot345, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

1. Would you go into work on Monday morning if you suspected you had laryngitis?

2. What about if you were leading the nativity to parents, also on Monday morning, and suspected you had laryngitis?

3. How about if you felt otherwise fine, but just had zero voice (but suspected laryngitis)?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If you have no voice there's no point in turning up. I've tried it and its worse than useless - you can't work and you're making your throat worse and delaying your recovery.Drink loads of water, inhale steam, take over the counter stuff, gargle with salt water but most of all rest.
    Our choir had booked a tenor for two concerts a fortnight apart but he had to bail out and no doubt missed other work too at this time of year because he had laryngitis. There's no way through it. Rest.

strawbs likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes, I would go in but agree that resting your voice is the best way to recovery. I used to go and sit with my classes when this happened to me ( Secondary ) to avoid someone losing their non contact time. The children, usually very challenging , were uncharacteristically sympathetic ! ( happy to do something mindless in the absence of a ' real ' lesson .... am sure that there must be a contingency for the Nativity ?!

4. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Stay at home and rest your voice. There is no way you will be able to do this in a primary school the week before we break up for Christmas!

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I think if it was me I would go to the GP to find out if it was laryngitis or not. If it is you will definitely need time off school and some antibiotics. Your voice needs a complete rest, and so does the rest of you probably! :)

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I had bad viral laryngitis two months ago and lost my voice completely. Last week my voice went again because I had an allergy-induced cough. Purely mechanical but just as damaging. Whatever the reasons for your voice loss, you need to rest your voice. The viral laryngitis put my thrat in a very bad mood. You really don't want to riskl
    Permanent damage.