1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

No union but want to formally complain

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by wozzeenn, Dec 17, 2018.

  1. wozzeenn

    wozzeenn New commenter

    ...about a lack of payscale increase.

    Hi, I stupidly don't have a union, is there any union that helps if you sign up after an incident is already occurring?

    If not does anyone know how to formally complain when your points are being brushed aside without any real reply?

    I wrote a 5 page letter to the head and then weeks later she fobbed me off and got the HR woman to speak for her and tried to put me off by talking a load of made up bs.

    Any help would be appreciated and I do realise I am stupid for not having a union.


  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    I don't think any union would act for if you joined them now.

    Join one anyway before another problem comes up.

    Is the lack of a pay increase specific to you or affecting many teachers?

    Read the school's Pay Policy. All pay policies should have a formal pay appeals procedure that you can invoke. If your appeal to head has been brushed off there's usually a further appeal to the governors.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. wozzeenn

    wozzeenn New commenter

    Cheers, thanks for the reply. Apparently it has happened to a few people but that's if I believe what I'm told at face value.
  4. SundaeTrifle

    SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

    Find out the name of the governor in charge of the pay and staffing committee and write directly to them. Explain that you have written previously to the head. You should get a written response to your letter.

    You should have received an explanation of why you did not move up the pay scale. Are you making an equivalent contribution to the school as other employees on that pay point?

    See ACAS website.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    No, OP should not do that (unless it is the procedure specified for pay appeals in the school's Pay Policy). OP should follow the pay appeals procedure laid own in OP's school.

    We don't know what that procedure is but I'd have thought OP first needs to write to the head again stating that they making a formal pay appeal under the Pay Policy and requiring a written response from the head with the appeals timescales in the policy.
    Pomza, Piranha, strawbs and 1 other person like this.

    SEBREGIS Lead commenter

    Join the union anyway, though. They can certainly help in future.
  7. Mrs Grumpy

    Mrs Grumpy New commenter

    Oh dear .... why on earth would you expect any Union to support you for a muddle you got into before you joined? I considered all those years of subs as an insurance policy in case something went wrong ... you wouldn't expect a car insurance firm to recompense you for an accident you had before you joined, would you??
    It's not really at all clear from your original post quite what the issue is, but you've had some very good advice on here.... think about it.

Share This Page