1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No traffic...poor sales

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Shamster

Shamster New commenter

My Jannuary was ok. 150 pounds, February 65 pounds March was fab at a 1000 but this month only 500 so far

LessonChest and krisgreg30 like this.
  2. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Wow!

classroomowlresources and cate_h like this.
  3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

According to the FB group, there has been a blip in gathering the data, but any sales made tonight are indeed sales! Currently being investigated.

mrajlong likes this.
  4. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

Go to my shop at the top it says add resource

5. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

I can't complain my sales have been good this month nearly as much as March.

Krazikas likes this.
  6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

upload_2017-4-25_8-38-54.png
    I mean, seriously?

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  7. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Considerably better than me - I'm at less than 11 views per day.

Same pattern though.

ss3.png

8. thinkypublishing

Had a look through to try and discover the most recent resources I added (last month).

I found the resource I updated a couple of days ago on page 18 of the relevant term.

I had to go to page 63 to discover anything else.

That ranked my stuff below old and outdated resources. Christmas themed activities. Endless resources with no thumbnails. Free resources rated with three stars and less (which surely means it's rubbish?).

Nobody other than me would search through that far amongst what is mostly poor quality junk.

Prior to the recent changes I could usually find something of mine within the first few pages (albeit I couldn't usually reason what or why - but at least it was there!).

There are clusters of the more dominant/widely promoted sellers and clusters of what presumably has been uploaded in recent days. Everything else drops into an abyss.

So where's that VIP Gold service?!

9. thinkypublishing

Something I noticed too was that resources appearing higher were often those that had been reviewed by other sellers, presumably via review exchanges and coupon swaps etc. I don't like this strategy as it seems a bit artificial - but the bottom line is that it clearly works and therefore makes sense to do.

As a suggestion for those tweaking the algorithm, how about ranking resources via the sales to views ratio? This would indicate some sort of quality - good sales to views = more likely a good resource than high views - low sales.

10. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

@thinky According to one thread on the facebook page, most people's March-April graphs look like that. Mine does too.

11. mrajlong

Do the Tes team have any info that might shed some light on this?

12. EC_Resources

I reckon it's because schools can set when they have their holidays now. Easter has spread over three weeks instead of two. Most schools had their Christmas hols at the same time, so only two weeks were affected.

thinky likes this.
  13. mrajlong

Yes, maybe. But April '16 was better than last March '16 for me. And aren't the vast majority back now?

14. EC_Resources

They're back now, yes. I can't explain that then. This year is better for me but I have more resources than this time last year. Was Easter mainly in March last year? Can't remember.

15. mrajlong

Don't get me wrong, 2017 has been great, and hasn't been nothing since Easter. Just wish the Easter Hols hadn't come (can't believe I just wrote that)! ;)

16. mrajlong

BTW today - nothing! :( Usually have made a few sales before 11. Today and yesterday sold bugga all!

17. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

There are so many vouchers/coupons & sales, that buyers may be getting into the habit of only buying when they get these special offers

thinky and mrajlong like this.
  18. mrajlong

I do think that they are sometimes too close together, and too many voucher codes! The boost in sales during these times is good, but is it at the expense of sales in other periods? Time will tell, but this feels very much like the slow September start after the Summer Hols. Didn't get going until November really! Hope May is a lot better (dunno what I will do if it ain't - cry probably!!)

19. mrajlong

Still sooo far away from seeing a return on the time spent producing resources. I know that it will take time. I have a fear that eventually Tes will reach saturation point as the site becomes more and more diluted and all my efforts will ultimately fizzle out (some of my older resources don't sell as much as they used to). Is this inevitable? If it is, where is the incentive to sacrifice those evenings, weekends and holidays if there is no financial reward? Getting ahead of myself I know, but thinking long term...?

20. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

*** have not reached saturation point and they have been going a long time... there will be slow periods... keep on going....

mrajlong likes this.