1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No traffic...poor sales

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, Apr 24, 2017.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Suffering a bit of a dip this month. Up from last April, but I am not getting many views hence not many sales. Today has been bloomin awful. Worst day since Xmas Day LOL! Always get a bit twitchy in dips like this and fear it will not pick up again. It usually does, but still can't shift that nagging worry that they won't this time. Pre-Easter was amazing. Easter and the days since - disappointing.

Was wondering how everyone else was finding things at the moment and whether you have the same fears! Bank Holiday weekend is probably gonna damage sales too (sigh). Agghhh!

2. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

Same, no sales today as of yet but the site was down mid afternoon-ish so that could be one of the reasons?

3. hoppytimes

hoppytimes New commenter

Can I just add, my most successful month ever was March 2017 with double the amount of sales. April's sales are similar to February/ January. Which makes me wonder what happened in March and how can I get it back? :D

4. mrajlong

Yeah, November 2016 and March 2017 were my best months - and yes, I wonder why too!

newromantic likes this.
  5. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

March had four full weeks of schooling with no holidays - January, February and April sales are all affected by school holidays at some point. It's best to look at overall general trends.... compared with last year overall my average number of daily sales / royalties have increased. Keep your heads up and look at the bigger picture - don't get entrapped in the detail because it can lead to inertia - keep on plodding on with that mountain top in view - don't look at your feet!

jonesk5 likes this.
  6. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

The sites been up and down all day guys, thats most likely why.

7. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I don't mind the level of sales dipping or being low in as much as I can't expect them.

However I do mind the HUGE dip in views because as I see it TES earn their royalty by generating those views.

The holidays inevitably have an impact but I don't believe that alone can be responsible for the decline in views.

The alterations to the site, the algorithm for the search?? I don't know what the causes are but to have dipped to the point that I now get less than ten views a day across all resources while sales in other places have had a slight increase suggests something isn't right.

That said, I agree with @Krazikas - bigger picture etc.

CurriculumForAutism and mrajlong like this.
  8. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Steady sales today to be fair and in grand scheme of things sales this month are up 5x already from last April. Had a terrible Easter but since the middle of last week its been back up again.

Whilst it was terrible, I agree that it's bigger picture and in terms of bigger picture I have made great gains from last April.

Krazikas and mrajlong like this.
  9. mrajlong

It's the lack of views I find disappointing. A resource I put up for free 2 weeks ago ish has only had 8 views and one download (a colleague wanted it). Have people been put off (temporarily) by the new layout? Still only one sale today. This is totally against Monday trends for the last couple of years. Befuddled!

10. maryb777

maryb777 New commenter

Hi
    I am fairly new to the site and am wondering if anybody is having as much trouble as me uploading a resource. I cannot seem to find where one can upload. Thanks for a response.

11. Shamster

Shamster New commenter

I wasn't around nov 2016, but I agree March 2017 was amazingly good, but April is ....

12. krisgreg30

Views haven't been great on some free resources. Particularly disappointed that I've put a whole unit of work on for free a few weeks ago and had a small number of views and no downloads.

mrajlong likes this.
  13. mrajlong

Total just went up about £1.50 but no sale showing on sales page. What's going on today?

14. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

This month has been the slowest for me since I began selling here last June.

mrajlong likes this.
  15. thinkypublishing

Same - I'd put up some freebies including some that have previously been sold and was surprised to see next to no views.

That along with the 'You had 8 views' yesterday etc. (and of course no sales) = a considerable change from how things had previously been developing.

16. thinkypublishing

Worth also mentioning that I made a minor update to a resource yesterday... and then a sale of that resource registered very soon after (via a voucher).

Suggesting - if it's seen, it sells (views matter).
    Despite all the changes to search the best chance of being seen is to be new (or chosen by TES).

And leading me to question how much of the 'market' has been propped up by vouchers/coupons.

mrajlong likes this.
  17. maryb777

maryb777 New commenter

Can someone please tell me how I can upload a new resource. I have not been able to do so since we have a new website. Thanks a lot.

18. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Lots of sales seem to be generated via codes/vouchers & not all authors get them. I understand why Gold authors get the codes etc. I'm not moaning at that. I do think buyers wait for the next sale & or promotion.
    It is quite a while since the featured resources have been updated, I've seen the odd change on the main resources page but the secondary English page hasn't 'rotated' for a good while.
    @mrajlong - I've also had a couple of sales this evening that don't seem to have registered on the sales page, despite the total increasing. I reckon there's been some behind the scenes work going on today - the site has been doing peculiar things!
    I do think the 'April dip' will improve now all schools are back to the grind stone. I've seen improvements this week already.
    Agree with most others that March 2017 was by far the best month! We've been spoilt!

19. krisgreg30

Weirdly, January is the best month I've had by a long way ahead of any other month.

20. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Back to school rush! Realisation that everyone had way too much fun and did no planning! :p

krisgreg30 likes this.