1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No time off for funeral

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by thekeymaster, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I have met this situation several times in my career. The trouble with education is it is infested with jumped up pox-doctors clerks who are of no consequence and simply enjoy their idea of being in power. Never let this kind of vermin stand in your way. To lack the human trait of compassion for one's others is simply to be inhuman. I always seek higher advice. Once a head said he would stop my pay while i was on active service with the army (TAVR & Reserves). He was formally cautioned by the War Office that any interuption to my out-of-school activities could result in him being charged with treason and then shot! Tee-hee. That shut him up. one deputy head even 'grassed me up' when he had seen me reporting for duty. Reassuringly good generals know their officers and truth always wins through!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Sad news, but indeed the most school policies allow for compassionate leave for close relatives which does not cover cousins, or make allowance for those living a long way from 'home'. Your head has every right to refuse your request all be it unpaid.
    I am guessing you are Canadian working over here?
    Adding to that, I have encountered the disruption caused to a school when over seas trained teachers do just 'up and leave' without notice. Including one who upped and left because they had decided to get together romantically back in Canada, another who came from the states and left, lying about a bereavement when in truth they just found teaching here too tough, and another who had to return to Canada because they had not declared medical information correctly when they applied and was on and off sick..... I do wish that the recruitment procedures would allow those recruited to consider such events before they commit.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I assume this occurred before 1998, when the maximum punishment for treason was downgraded to life imprisonment? Even before that, the punishment for a civilian was hanging.

4. It must be pre 1964 Middlemarch -the War Office has been the MOD since then!