1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No thanks.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I won’t be buying any, that’s for sure!

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How will you know?

Not being snarky... my understanding is if the chicken pizza is made in the UK then it will be labelled as made in the UK... and you won't know any different as to the country of origin... after all, many restaurant chains now serve halal meat unlabelled and most people happily buy it unconcerned.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Does anyone seriously think that we will NOT be eating chlorinated chicken soon.
    If the EU decide that UK food standards are dropping, they will put a tariff on UK meat exports as that would be a clear case of not playing on a level field.

If the UK lowers minimum wage we will receive a EU tariff.
    If the UK lowers the minimum legal holiday requirement, we will receive a tariff.

All done and dusted by December 31. Yeah, right ...

Jamvic and ajrowing like this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh, what, and no-one saw this coming?

Oh, I forgot. Anyone who said anything about this sort of stuff was just spreading 'project fear'... Ahh well.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You don't have to eat chicken pizza. I'll be buying only British chicken that I've bought raw and cooked myself. I'm already much more careful than I used to be about where I buy meat and what it is.

It's is insane to be shipping foodstuffs round the globe that can be produced here.

peter12171, Jamvic, nizebaby and 2 others like this.
  7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I never eat meat on a pizza. I’ll often go for the vegetarian options when eating out. What chicken I do buy, I check the origins: chicken bits from Waitrose usually - from British farms. Sure, I might occasionally get caught out, but I’ll be doing my best not to be.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Chicken pizza was an example... it could be chicken curry, chicken stirfry... any pre-packaged food which has been assembled in the UK

Jamvic and CheeseMongler like this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

What, not "cooked" or "lovingly-prepared"? Brilliantly accurate.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

..."hand made" ... "lovingly crafted by artisan chefs"...

11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My local butcher sells lovely free-range cornfed french chickens for a fiver.

Jamvic, smoothnewt and lanokia like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

"Slaughterhouse floor-scrapings hosed into machines and turned into slurry, heavily salted, re-formed into shapes acceptable to a five year old..."

monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  13. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Given the US ambassador's defence of chlorinated chicken and US drivers who kill on our roads as they can't tell right from left, am l alone in thinking the last thing we want is a closer relationship (or trade deal) with the US?

Bedlam3 and smoothnewt like this.
  14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Horrible.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But we were assured this will not happen! :eek::rolleyes::mad:
    Great start.

ETA
    Actually, we're OK. We won't have to EAT it.
    Just EMBRACE it!!
    Dead chicken snogging here we come! ;)

The US ambassador to Britain has said that British farmers need to embrace chlorinated chicken, ahead of Brexit talks between Donald Trump and Boris Johnson's teams.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

There's nothing I like better than being told what I should embrace by someone with a vested interest I despise. Fills me with cooperation.
    However, seeing as Barnier's chosen this moment do the *cabaret French accent* "Aw haw haw we 'av ze uppair hand" arsery, it's all grist to Trump's "line upto kiss my ass, you should be grateful we're even talking to you and our chicken' s the best, the best in the world. It's bigly best cos I'm president and I do chicken better than anyone. MAGA!" mill.
    Even though the food poisoning rate in the US is 7 times higher than it is here.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

What's them called? They sound yummy!

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You may. I won't. Why do you think I would?

Jamvic likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I would find Brexit simpler to comprehend if it meant British food quality improved by returning to the times when foreign muck didn't exist in Britain, especially the rubbish imported from the States.

Who among you can tell me the part of a chicken where the McNuggets are? Is there anything less appealing than eating chicken out of a bucket? What's all this nonsense about pulled meat that seems to be all the rage these days?

Traditional British food was never like that.

towncryer and monicabilongame like this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Me. 100% chicken breast.

LondonCanary and nomad like this.