1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No tests available

Discussion in 'Personal' started by geographyrox, Sep 12, 2020.

1. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

I had a slight cough on Thursday, so went home, took my temperature and found I had a mild fever. It lasted a couple of hours but I woke up the next morning feeling fine and the temperature is gone. Husband and children self isolating as per guidelines, but since Thursday evening (now saturday morning), despite checking at least once an hour whilst awake, there have been no tests available on the nhs website, not even with ludicrous drives.
    What is the government up to? My husband is also a teacher, so that’s 2 teachers unable to work and 2 kids missing out on school for 2 weeks for something that is almost certainly not covid given how fine I feel now, all because the government cant get its act together with testing. I’m generally a pretty laid back person, and it takes a lot for the kids at school to rile me, but this has me fuming!

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

What about the people in your school who should be self-isolating?

Scintillant likes this.
  3. geographyrox

Don’t think people ive been in contact with beyond my household have to self isolate unless/until i get a positive test result, but maybe I’m wrong there

4. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

How far is it reasonable to expect people to travel (if they drive, of course - not everyone does) for a Test? Hancock said 75 miles (each way???). For me, anything more than 20 is a no-no,...

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They should. If you test positive and they've been going in with it... If they isolate, nothing much is lost, everything is gained.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This is true and also shows how a superfluity of rules and exceptions allows for individuals to ' decide for themselves what applies and what doesn't.

Jamvic and Catgirl1964 like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am really quite surprised at that question. This is our world beating system of corona testing, where we are currently implementing more tests than any other country. Experience shows this time and time and time again. (Except... just not your own.)

I'd just stay off until symptoms go away undiagnosed in all of your family and your street and your town. This is because by not taking a test you are helping to keep our schools open in our world beating education system.

Keep up!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It's a growing problem, the testing system started off poor and has wilted since. Key workers, including GPs are finding it impossible to get tested (GPs for @##@ sake!:mad:).

Just saying any old crud that gets them through another day or another interview. Hence Hancock's throwaway line about trying to ensure no-one travels more than 150 mile round-trip for a test - such a mind-bogglingly ludicrous target that could only sound reasonable against the shocking news that people were regularly being offered 200-700 mile round trips for tests. And of course Hancock gave no indication whatsoever as to how his newly invented target was to be met.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It will only get worse as we move into the cold and flu season. Anyone who gets a cold will try to get a test as they won't be sure whether it's a cold or covid.

10. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Driving when unwell is not very responsible But then if it was ok for Cummings it’s ok for everyone - that might explain why Hancock thinks its ok to Travel 75 miles.

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is ground hog day!

There were exactly the same problems re not able to access tests 6 months ago. Given a resurgence of Covid was predicted and inevitable without a vaccine, WHY are we still having the same problems?

Answers on a postcard to Number 10.

12. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Total shambles. The main premise for schools reopening safely was the back up of test and trace. No staff off at our place yet but the kids are. I didn’t realise until recently that kids have to be tested by parents. This might explain results coming back as”inconclusive” as they are possibly not doing the tests correctly.

jellycowfish, Catgirl1964 and fjoy15 like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

BBCNews today is blaming the reopening of schools for the upsurge in testing. Did noone see this coming?

The Zoe app lot asked me to get tested last week. There has been no availability of any test anywhere for 3 days now.

Sally - I've had 5 tests now. I'm a competent well-intentioned adult but once the gagging starts, it's actually quite difficult to prevent the swab tip touching other parts of your mouth, even when you're the one in control. I can see how it would be easy to contaminate a test you'd do on a resistant small child.

14. fjoy15

fjoy15 New commenter

My adult daughter had symptoms, requested a test on a Wednesday and was informed the nearest testing centre was over 40 miles away. She doesn’t drive. She had a home testing kit delivered the next day, which was collected that day (Thursday) at 6 pm. She didn’t get the negative result until Tuesday, so had 5 days off work (6 days self-isolating). The reason given was a lack of lab staff. Is this really a world-beating testing system?

The lack of lab staff for testing is going to cause problems for schools, care homes, hospitals NHS and every other workplace where people need to physically be in work.

15. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Several of our staff and a whole year group were sent home on Monday to self isolate. We were told we weren't allowed back until the 14 days are up even if we have a negative test result.

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I doubt that is correct. The test and trace service say that the shortage is due to the need to prioritise tests for people in lockdown areas where the infection rate is shooting sky high.

nomad likes this.
  17. geographyrox

not according to NHS

When to self-isolate
    You must self-isolate immediately if:

18. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

We are having the same issue, many staff with symptoms, no tests

agathamorse likes this.
  19. geographyrox

On the plus side just managed to book a home test kit, so hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel. Though as someone mentioned, apparently results are taking their time to get back. We’ll see

Corvuscorax20 likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How is there a shortage, when testing carried out is way below actual testing capacity...?

Jamvic and Catgirl1964 like this.