1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No testing available?

Discussion in 'News' started by Corvuscorax20, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

3 times this week friends or colleagues have told me they have COVID symptoms but are not able to get tested. No drive through testing and no home test kits. This first happened at a charity I work at on Wednesday, then a friend said the same yesterday, then another friend has rung up just now to cancel brunch as she is ill, but she can't get tested either. First colleague said the site you book testing on just kept crashing, and they didn't know if it was them or the site. Second friend yesterday said the same, but then, when the site did appear to be working, there were no drive through or home testing kits available. Third friend this morning is not feeling well enough to drive, but can't get a home test . I suggested she tried to get a drive through test in a few days time when she might be feeling better, but that wasn't possible either.

Is this a local blip, or more general?

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I discovered purely by accident since there was a simple poster blowing on the gate of my local park/athletics ground that Covid testing was happening. I did the test. I asked why this had not been advertised more widely -after all a simple poster wasn't likely to bring in loads of people. " Precisely" was the response, " we don't have the facilities to cope"
    Try looking on local park websites/athletic grounds which announce their car parks are closing for Covid testing.
    So, the answer to your post is more general.

averagedan and agathamorse like this.
  3. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

That's worrying - we need to be able to test and trace to determine when to lockdown.

The government is "supposed" to be erecting drive-through testing centres right now to help with this. Has anyone seen one?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Seem plenty of opportunity here...but you are in London with a much great population density.

5. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

florian will be along in a minute to tell us it's all ok

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have been tested on three occasions, one of them being a comparative test of the swab up the nose and down the throat along with giving a saliva sample. Dates - mid may, early June and late July. All proved negative I'm happy to say.

The first one, May, was in the car park of our local premier football team arena. Boris / Cummings were making a big deal out of all the tests they were doing at the time (We now know they were BSing of course!). The whole of the huge car park was taken up with porta-cabins and test bays, but there were only four other cars there. I was given a self test swab kit and instructions. I didn't understand the instructions well enough and I don't think I probably got a decent swab. I received my result after a couple of days on my phone and postal letter.

The second, June, was in the same place but this time there was only one other car. This time a lad leaned in through my car window and gag inducingly stuck the swab down my throat and then thrust it painfully up my nose. Not nice but I suppose he at least got a good sample. I received my result after a couple of days on my phone again.

The third, July, was through the post with a throat and nose swab kit identical to the ones I had undertaken already, but also included a saliva spit test. Again, I got the result on my phone and by letter.

The reason I got called for these tests was because I enrolled on two research university / NHS C-19 studies where I had to report my health every day on my smart phone. I regularly get headaches and have had a number of coughs recently which I reported. I didn't think they were C-19 symptoms but I assumed I should be blunt about how I felt. However, the symptoms were picked up for testing. I now go on the premise "how do I feel compared to how I normally feel", and so I haven't got called again. I don't know if this has been helpful to them or not.

So as one would expect from the incompetent Boris / Cummings, my impressions of publicising the testing, after seeing the empty test stations, is that it is rubbish, with the money being spent on PR spin merchants who are mates of Cummings / Gove, who have clearly failed, as evidenced by the posts here. A £million or more! All my contacts came through the research groups.
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/da...en-840000-covid-contract-without-competition/

What a time to have two such bozos running the country!

7. Corvuscorax20

I don't think there was much difficulty getting tests in June and July, they just don't seem to be locally available now.

8. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

When I needed one, back in June, despite all the fanfare about mobile test centres, there wasn't anything that didn't involve over an hour's drive. I had fun and games getting the postal test as well, as it refused to recognise that I might not have a mobile phone, but that was easily sorted in the end. Then we had to drive around looking for the right kind of post box to post it in.

9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

The main test centre here is closing this week and the two others are technically outside the city itself, and certainly a long drive from where I live. There is a new self test centre at the university, but after self-administering a test a few weeks ago, I'd decided that it would be better to drive to a test centre if the situation arose again. Now, that doesn't look possible, just as we are heading into autumn/winter.

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I have had friends/colleagues who had problems at different stages (from March until now)-equally others had no problem. The ones who do jobs such as care had no issues, I'm glad to say. Some who couldn't/didn't want to drive reported not being able to get one-I really don't think they should be encouraging victims to drive unless they feel well, though-I know at times, when people have flu, they might be more dangerous behind the wheel than a drunk person. Obviously this depends on how ill you are, but I hope nobody feels pressured to drive if they feel awful.

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

12. Corvuscorax20

I know how to get a home test, I have done many. There was a time when tests were impossible to get hold of, then there was a time when they were available, now it seem to be hard again

13. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

We now have a testing centre going up in our local field!

However someone's putting together a Facebook group to mount a challenge as they haven't consulted....

It's almost like they want people to wander around unknowingly spreading the disease.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.