1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No teacher timetable, first week back - and we've to create it?!

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Gavster77, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

Despite the current climate, every department in my new school gave its teachers a timetable for the year - except the SEN department I've just joined.

My new PT seems... idiosyncratic to say the least. He has delegated making up timetables to us "find out which classes to support, make up nurture groups, literacy and numeracy groups, etc..."

Not our job, as unpromoted grunts, I suggest. Should I just go straight to the union?

Marisha likes this.
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Not great start for you !

Is there a colleague you could sound out before asking the union ?

3. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Hi gavster,
    Your new PT is being fly here. So, what, you've to balance your own non contact time and when a departmental meeting falls, etc? I don't think so! Part of the middle leader role and contract is "Strategic Vision" which includes composing timetable and assigning staff.

PT and Faculty Heads from all over school should be communicating where there are needs - maybe via a bid system - then PT assembles a rota and timetable and his staff follow that.

Seek out your DHT link to tell them you don't have a timetable to make your post (permanent I presume?) substantive and see what they say. They should hopefully tell your PT to make one ASAP and if you don't get a good answer ask your union rep to ask DHT and PT their rationale behind making unpromoted staff devise their own timetables.

Marisha and Gavster77 like this.