1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"No teacher" A Levels

Discussion in 'Education news' started by pair_of_argyles, Feb 9, 2018.

1. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

2. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

If they are like the majority of A level students I've ever taught it'll be a disaster.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

No big surprise, as it is being touted as a way of allowing schools to extend their curriculum offering to include subjects they don't have qualified staff to deliver. That in itself may not be such a bad idea. But it will be interesting to see how it pans out, as it seems it's being offered by the same edcuational company that was involved in the LA School District iPads fiasco, some years ago.

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I think that a few people have warned that this is the ultimate Tory fantasy; get rid of all the recalcitrant teachers and simply employ teaching assistants to supervise courses supplied by Pearson (a private company who has been milking it for a few years now).

I have actually seen a slide towards this over recent years, as more and more lessons seem to be delivered across schools by the use of standardised Powerpoints, almost negating the need for the teacher to be at the helm - a TA could do it instead and just control the crowds.

BetterNow, JL48 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Not totally sure I understand the logistics of it. I thought initially that it was one teacher for one hour and then the TAs armed with cattle pr.ods move in for the other 4 hours on the PCs. So presumably the poor teacher is expected to deliver a super-hour but still have a full timetable otherwise.

But it then says the teacher takes small groups which implies that the class is split up and if it's over the five lessons then the PCs, program, TAs and cattle pr.ods are all extra costs. No doubt it's just advertising for Pearsons (I hope).

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Should we all switch away from pearson courses and resources in protest?

Mrsmumbles and BetterNow like this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

They are hiring teachers to do this through video conferencing so the school can buy 'part of a teacher' for each student that signs up. The future is you videolinking to students.

Wonder who is accountable for the outcomes?

8. JohnJCazorla

If they're good outcomes then the SLT will fall over themselves to take the credit. If not then the contract with Pearson won't be renewed.

Can't see the virtual teacher carrying the can, not least because there's nothing to stop this 'highly-capable professional' being replaced for a cheaper model on a day-to-day basis.

catbefriender likes this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This'll be where the "graduate teaching assistant" roles come in.

catbefriender likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

I've just read this properly.
    I wondered why the article didn't state, "This is being trialled at Anything-For-a-Quick-Buck Academy". That's because schools are irrelevant. If Pearson provides the teacher, resources and program then what does the school do (apart from TAs with cattle pr.ods)?

So the rich kids' parents will buy into these packages and firstly independent schools and then all schools will effectively vanish as it trickles down through the populace. Teacher's salaries will be kept high enough to make it worthwhile for all the graduates in India to choose it over call centre work.

Well at least discipline will not be an issue.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Scotland has been delivering Highers (Scottish equivalent to AS) across a network for years. It is not teaching by you-tube. A teacher is still preparing and delivering lessons. The students in each virtual class are often spread across many schools over hundreds of miles. A teacher sits on a computer, starts the class, students join the class and teaching begins. With the right software the teacher can see what each student is doing and give individual feedback during a lesson.
    The article above seems to be describing teaching by you-tube. Very different to the Scottish model. Who answers questions if a student gets stuck? Unlikely that a TA will have sufficient subject knowledge. The model described in the link is a non-starter in any English school.

Like MrMedia, I am wondering who takes the hit when the results are bad.

A levels without teachers. Academy dream.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Why stop at A levels?

This could easily be rolled out at GCSE level too. Or even at KS3? Each kid has a tablet provided by a government supported sponsor. The tablet uses its Pearson software to guide students through a variety of approved activities and assessments. Their progress is monitored and tracked automatically, with realtime reports available to the student, parents and the powers that be. Automated online help centers can answer any questions. No need for adults with subject knowledge or an ability to deliver a class.

Ultimately its a cheap way of delivering 'education' , with governments and large companies able to control what is being taught / learnt. Real teachers, and a genuine rounded education will become a preserve of the elite. It is a dystopian nightmare, but one that is already being trialled around the world, and not that far from being reality.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  13. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Is this similar to the way the Open University functions?

I imagine this already happens to a large degree, and will probably increase with 'interested parties' becoming involved in the development of curriculums meant to feed into Apprenticeships etc.

Unless the continuing shortage of teachers is somehow sorted, then this might ultimately be where we are headed in this country anyway. Simple supply and demand. Rick kids get real teachers, and the rest get whatever's available.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I’d quite like to be a virtual teacher. As I am over 45, my last school treated me as such anyway, especially the younger ones, so at least this way I could spout my stuff and quickly log off afterwards to avoid marking cribbed emailed essays!

15. Mrsmumbles

God I wish I’d studied Law instead!

16. Mrsmumbles

Oh, just blame it all on Virgin Media.
    What a lovely thought, the educational telescreens, the daily Ten Minute Jerks (sorry, lessons) Mmmm...lovely, can’t wait.

17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Seen something similar years go to deliver Law.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

A few years ago, there was a discussion on these forums about this process, and at the time there was a glut of teachers. All that was missing was the 'teacher shortage', which many on this forum have pointed out, either doesn't really exist, or could easily be solved.

Where there's a will (to make a profit), there's a way . . .

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  19. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Not that shocking though, to be honest. I've known home schooling families where kids study for the exams at home and then just come in and sit the exam. Plenty of materials online and in revision guides etc. to make this possible. Works best with high ability, highly motivated kids or those whose parents can help.

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Usually (at least in the states) the parents don't just leave the kids to get on with it, but actively teach them. It should also be noted that the adult / child ratio is about 1:2.