1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No support at all for NQT and now no evidence i've done it.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gembod3236, Apr 17, 2017.

1. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

I am now into my second academic year at my current school of employment. I began my NQT in September 2015 but then had time off due to slipped discs between March and June 2016. Therefore I didn't expect my NQT to be completed until Christmas or even Easter (Terms and conditions state that any time off over a specified time should be made up before Induction can be completed) I had 3 months off, a term. I feel like i've been fobbed off as my contract ends at the end of this year so I am currently seeking new employment but have no idea what to put as my grade as I have still not been signed off, have only ever had one end of term reviews and only one observation from an external assessor. I have had two internal observations over this time and nothing else. Therefore I do not think that paperwork has been filed and as a result I have not been awarded my completion of the induction period because there is no evidence submitted to the LA. I've worked so hard for this. I am attempting to write an application form but know that on paper I will look terrible as to still be continuing my NQT when I have completed the induction period looks suspicious. I have had no cause for concerns or monitoring etc to suggest that i have been failing. I really don't know what to do as my job prospects look bleak when the application forms will show that I am still an NQT in the last term of my second year of teaching. Any advice will be greatly received. Thanks :)

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

This is not the first case appearing in this forum like yours, and from the sounds of it, I don't think it will be the last.

OK first the bright spot, you can't really be failed if there is no evidence. This may seem a strange thing to say but the NQT induction is a one shot deal, so not failing is a really big deal.

Your contract is coming to an end is also a bright spot because it provides a natural reason for moving on.

Third one is that your illness (whilst annoying and I hope you are fully well again) is a natural reason for not completing the NQT induction.

In short apply for jobs and do the best you can. If you have no grades then say that. If you get an interview and are asked, you have perfectly valid reasons.

In the meantime, it is a case of trying to get some sense out of the school. It is also my understanding that there is an LA person who is supposed to be overseeing your induction, perhaps they can help. You may not get any sense from the school and so it might be a case of moving on and doing what you can.

If you are a member of a union (you should be) then try and enlist their support. Go to regional level rather than the school rep.

Anyway, best of luck, I wish you well in your job-hunting. Hopefully others will be able to fill in more than I can but I thought I would start things off.

3. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

You need to fully clarify what your position is. Surely your school has someone who is in charge of NQTs. You should talk to them. If there isn't an explicit person ask your line manager who you should talk to about it.

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Did you not get written evidence of your observations? Sounds like you have had a very poor deal, but it isn't the ed of the world. Start applying elsewhere.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you haven't signed the end of term forms for each term, then they can't have been sent off.
    You urgently need to speak to your mentor and find out where you are up to.
    What happened in July 2016? You presumably had a conversation with your head or NQT mentor where you discussed which terms to sign off and why not the full year? This information would have had to be shared with the LA who will have hassled for the school at Easter for the second term's forms, even if you weren't in school.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'put as a grade' on an application form? There are no grades for passing your NQT year.

For any other NQTs not sure about what is happening, the sooner you sort out difficulties the better. It is down to the NQT to ensure everything is done and sent off on time and yes, you do need to hassle your head and mentor to fill in the forms. Don't wait until a minor difficulty (a couple of months off sick) becomes a major issue (no NQT induction a year later).

strawbs likes this.
  6. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply. It is so frustrating that I am now having to apply for a new job still as an NQT when I have certainly fulfilled the criteria for my induction period. It was suggested to me by a member of the SLT that I may not have passed and this could be a reason for the LA pulling my last observation, however I pointed out, as you just have, that without evidence of close monitoring or cause for concern, they cannot try to cover up their inadequacies by blaming me. I am a member of a union and have contacted them who have then in turn referred me to the LA. I'm awaiting a response from them but am now also worried that once school know that i am 'speaking out of school' that they could cause me problems in my last term. After all, they are giving me a reference and hold all the cards over paperwork and grading me.

7. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

When I approached the school at the end of July 2016 I was told that I would resume my second term of induction in September 2016 which led me to believe that my final term would end at Easter. My mentor has herself been on long term sick the majority of this past term. At the end of last term she told me vehemently that there was only a requirement to submit forms at the end of term 1 and 3. I stupidly and very naively believed her - she seemed so certain despite me questioning the justification for this. Also i put my trust in the school to know what they are doing? It's shocking that they clearly don't.

The question over my grade stems from an application form for a teaching post that i am currently attempting to complete. It asks in one of the first boxes, 'Grade:' - I presumed it meant my Teaching pay scale grade? But am realising that despite me having completed the time for my NQT, I am still going to have to apply as an NQT.

8. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

My mentor has been on long term sick but before that, I didn't get any answers. All i have had since is the advice to wait until my mentor is back so it can be sorted then...

9. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

2/3 of my observations were fed back verbally when i sought it. I was told it was ok, don't worry... The one written feedback i had from the one external observation I had back in 2015, was taken from me to put in a file...

10. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

NQT is only graded pass/fail. So I would assume pay scale as well?

Have you been on a reduced timetable this year? I do think you should have been pushing a bit more all along - as in, finding out who would be your NQT mentor while yours was off ill. Better late than never!

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

May not help but my understanding has always been that uness concerns are raised and support offered, then they can't fail you. However, your absence may complicate that. You do seem to have been fobbed off a bit. There is a lesson for you there. You should in future copy everything ad keep your own copy. This is a formal process, but in your case it doesn't seem to have been. I think that by default they should pass you.

Just igore the grade on the application form.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomz like this.
  12. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

I have done nothing but repeatedly go to the mentor and the SLT about this to ensure that things are as they should be and have been reassured throughout that things were in hand and that I had no reason to worry. I have mostly had my NQT allowance of time in the week and have managed for the most part without the support of a mentor so it hasnt really mattered to me for the most part - ive been too busy teaching to think about much else. It has only been these past few weeks when the definite reassurances have turned into vague comments, and my contract has not been renewed that I have become concerned about the outcome. I don't want to land my school in a whole world of trouble but this is my entire career. Surely my induction can only be extended by application and for extenuating circumstances. I had these through my absence from my sickness last year but surely it can't be extended again when i have been in attendance and taught my full NQT commitment for well over 3 full terms?

13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sounds like a total mess and absolutely appalling management of the NQT process by the school.

Don't have any worries about the school being 'in trouble'. They are obliged to offer you a fair and supportive induction.

Speak to the LA asap and ask for support. There will be a person there who has the job of helping to clear-up problems with NQTs.

14. gembod3236

gembod3236 New commenter

Thank you. I am hoping that there is no grounds to fail me too. As long as the LA do not deem me as failed simply because after 3 full terms of teaching, the school have not sent off paperwork to pass me. I have certainly learned that I need to stop being so naive as to believe that the school would simply do what needed to be done. I will ignore the grade element, thank you. :)

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

If they've not done the paper work properly they can't fail you. Whilst this is clearly not an ideal situation or one that you'd like you have not been put in a position of having failed your induction. It may be a pain but perhaps via a new school you can get your induction sorted and be in the clear knowledge that the paperwork is right, you say you are doing fine here so you are clearly on track to pass. Yes it would extend the induction process for you but you could at least get it done and dusted that way.

Pomz likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Look on the bright side.
    1 You can apply for posts that say 'suitable for NQTs' and yet have two years of teaching experience to talk about at interview.
    2. You can apply for posts that say 'not suitable for NQTs' (you won't be in Sept) and yet are super cheap for a school.

You are a fabulous candidate for any post!

Pomz likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

18. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Glad you've been on top of it! It sounded like this was something you were totally unaware of until very recently!