1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No Summer Pay

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nikki2482, Feb 25, 2020.

1. nikki2482

nikki2482 New commenter

I've just had my contract through for a job that starts in 6 weeks. It states that because I have started part way through the year I will only receive 3/10s of my salary in July and August. This is despite the fact they state my salary and say it will be divided equally over 12 months.

I have never heard of this before. If the contract continues into the next academic year then surely it should include the full summer wage. I'm not going there to work part time!

I will go back to them on this but wondered what everyone's views were.

Thanks

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It should have been discussed at interview, not been a surprise when you got the contract through.

I'd say it's a red flag. Which part of the world ?

3. nikki2482

nikki2482 New commenter

Its Bangkok but a good school from what I can gather.

4. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I'd say... if it's a temporary contract, that's fair enough.

If it's permanent, then you are an employee starting the date you begin work and should have a monthly salary paid every month until you leave. If it's a permanent contract and they are paying you at a reduced rate over the summer,, you have to decide whether the job is worth it.

I think Id ask them about starting in the new school year instead "so that you are free to take up paid employment over the summer months"

BUT anyway, wouldn't a school in Bangkok be starting back in August anyway? So you would definitely expect to be on full pay then, whatever the deal.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. In Bulgaria, there is a lot of nonsense about days of "paid leave". You have to build up enough of these, otherwise you will not be getting all of your salary over the summer. Yes, it is annoying and silly red-tape, but this is the way that things are done in some parts of the world.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

In Norway the salary for July is calculated from the tax that was paid in the previous fiscal year. If you start the year anew - and the tax year starts in April (If I recall correctly) - then the July salary ain't much and Norway doesn't suddenly become cheaper to live in.
    On a plus, once you leave the country, you get a little extra the following July.

7. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

So you're starting after the Easter break. The school has given you a pro-rata rate. This means the school has actually divided the pay equally as you stated. Nothing dodgy here, even schools in the UK, Aus, Canada and NZ do this.

You need to remember that you're only working 3 out of the 12 months of the academic year. To be paid the whole 6-7 weeks is unfair to those who started and did their hours/days back in August 2019.

When you start your role in August 2020, I would advise you to get a new contract that covers your summer pay.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Seems fair to me. Summer pay is based on someone first working an entire school year. You’re doing far less than that, so you’re getting a prorated amount.
    Your alternative is to turn down the job and get nothing. Which sounds like the best deal?

9. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

Does the school not offer summer camps? Many moons ago when I lived in Thailand the school would have camps where you would be paid to take part. There was also a fairly large number of private clubs/camps that would pay you a daily rate to do a few hours English teaching per day. Obviously they didn't pay the same as your school daily rate but if you need a top up to go through the summer months that could be one option? I'm sure others who are more ITK could advise further if that's still the case

10. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I started a new post in Feb last year. Just six weeks later we had two weeks off for spring break. I didn't think to ask about pay until I was in post, but fortunately the school paid me for the spring break and throughout the summer. I would of course have minded if they hadn't, but felt that they would have been within their rights to withhold pay as I hadn't worked for them long enough to be entitled to the paid holiday. In any other industry, you would not get two weeks paid holiday after just six weeks of work, and certainly not seven weeks more just a few months later.

gulfgolf likes this.
  11. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

That’s normal! It’s only 3 months work so getting 3/10 not 3/12 is pretty good! The school year here is August to July so you’re getting a good deal in my opinion.

12. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

Yep. Happens in many schools. Although it's only for that first year. The year you work a whole year you get paid whole summer.
    As long as it's more than a 1 year contract it sounds right.

13. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

You are going to work for an international school. They are the lowest of the low and capable of anything. This sort of thing is par for the course.

14. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Canadian school boards pay the yearly wage in 10 months. No teacher (except those working summer school) get paid over the summer in Canada. There is no real "circuit" schools in Canada. As for Oz well Education Queensland don't subtract from summer pay (they also don't pay a fraction of summer wages earned if you leave during a school year). I am sure other states will be the same. Circuit schools of course are amoral and capable of anything.

15. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

So they pay the equivalent of 12 months which include the summer months...

Doesn't take a genius to know Canada, Oz and NZ don't have a "circuit".

Not sure where you get your info from but just Iike the OP, any NEW temp or permanent teachers will need to complete a FULL academic year. This implies to any teacher moving from the public to independent to catholic systems. If moving within a certain system, say moving from one public school to another their time spent in the other school will count thus will be eligible for summer pay.

Whether it's within the circuit or not, any school would be daft to pay any teacher the full summer pay after working only 3 months.

16. Millionsandmillions

Millionsandmillions New commenter

You get 12.5 % of your salary from the previous calendar year paid in June tax free, plus salary for June minus five weeks holiday (1/12 of annual salary /23.67 *25). In your second year you get much more than a normal month, but if you start in August the previous year you only have 5/12 of the 12.5%. My school pays the difference to make the first June "a normal month". Its a great system once you're in it, but if the employer doesn't help you out the first year, you need to save up the difference. The tariff agreement secures pay 01.08-31.07 for one year contracts.