1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no smoking for three months...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dominant_tonic, Aug 15, 2010.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

... that is 1282 cigarettes not smoked, saving me 333.32 according to the little counter on my laptop. I am doing fine really, and cant believe it has been three months - wlthough the sticky patch will be going home for christmas, but then that's another 4 monthe under the belt by the. 1282 cigarettes!!!!!!!!! Yuk. Imagine the smell on that! That's the one bonus other than health and wealth is the smell factor.
    Anyone else out there quitting or am I on my lonesome?

2. That's excellent! Well done!

3. gave up in 1988 and would now hate the smell, cost and social outcast-ness of it all. Mind you took me 3 attempts to give up so you have done well

4. dominant_tonic

Thanks Lily! Can't believe it has been three months - well 91 days! And I make no apologies for my blatant 'tell me I'm wonderful' bragging post :)
    I think it was moving to another country that did it - everything has changed, no driving (key time), no pub as eating is far more social than drinking here, so most of my trigger points changed overnight, so I have been lucky there.
    The social outcast-ness be good to lose. Hated having to time it to get the max social time with mates who were only in the pub for an hour or whatever. Hopefully it will stick. I haven't been that tempted really, but I did note that marlboro have bought out a very attractive packet that is green and black, and stupidly that would tempt me! Though not enough, thankfully.
    Thank you for flattering my ego [​IMG]

5. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Congratulations domtom, that's fantastic! Well done you!

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Jeez .... - Really?

7. dominant_tonic

I know hbf. Sad but true. I was standing in a queue at the shop and saw the packet, abnd did think that they looked really nice, and I would love to try one! Maybe it was a general moment of weakness anyawy, but yes. The packet did look tempting [​IMG] Even checked out the price - riduculously cheap at under two quid for 20! However i didn't so all is well.

8. why not each time you are "tempted" put the money in a pot to spend on your 1 yr anniversary

9. dominant_tonic

Thank you.[​IMG]
    ABC - Good plan, but I am already putting loose change into a pot to save for a hire car over Christmas after realising they were about 200 uid. If I put anymore in I would have to start selling the Korean big issue to survive. [​IMG]
    That is instead of ciggie money I think. Works out about the same because the currency is so big here you end up with 1000 won notes, which are equivalent of 55 p. So they go into a pot at then end of the day, any change (all smaller than that), and usually 5000 won notes as well which are about 2.70. Christmas time should be about 600 pound so I will see how far off I am.
    The only thing I am annoyed about is that I don't feel any physically fitter. However I don't know if that is because I am acclimatising to the change in climate etc. Although i do walk up five flights of stairs to my flat which is easier than it was - but that would be easier by now anyway. (I had my last cigarrette before leaving for the airport :))
    Oh well, not to whinge, I am glad I don't have to walk down 5 flights of stairs wverytime I want a ciggie [​IMG]

10. Hey tonic!

I am with you on the no smoking thing! I gave up last Tuesday (9th) using champix and I feel wonderful after 8 days so god knows how glad I will be when I get to three months!

Maccem

11. dominant_tonic

Hey Maccem.
    Brill :) Well done you on giving up!! 8 days is a good crack thats over the infamous three days, so that's the worst cravings over and done with.
    Hope the champix continues to work - will check back here regulalry to see how you are getting on. That makes two of us - there must be more.
    Good for you and good luck xx

12. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

Hello there
    I stopped on Jan 31st 2009!
    Well done to me and to you too!
    I stopped with an NHS group which was fab. We all had to phone each other and email daily. I also used patches for 2 weeks and some people used champix and other things.
    Just remember one day at a time - that helped me and I counted the days up to about 6 months then went on to weeks, months and maybe years!
    [​IMG]

13. Hi

Well I am on day 34 today and still going strong! So chuffed wth myself!

14. dominant_tonic

Thanks for the encouragement showergel. I have managed this far - I daresay there are support groups and I would use one if at home definitely, they sound like a really good plan. However not being able to speak the langauage doesn't help much. Althought I guess it would have its upsides - those times when you really want one and want to shout and swear at everyone could be easily done with a smile on your face, and no offence taken!
    Maccem girl - go you. You are doing really well! I found the first month the most difficult, though with moving ot a different country I think I had it easier than most as I haven't found it as bad as I thought I would. Nobody knew me as a smoker, and didn't expect me to be smoking/want to smoke, and when they say a change of routine I certainly did that!
    So glad you are doing well, and think of the cash you have saved. According to my little counter on my lap top I would have smoked 1771 cigarettes costing 470 quid. that's so many cigarettes isn't it? When you look at it like that it des seem disgusting! Imagine the smell that 1771 ciggies would produce! Apparently it takes seven minutes to smoke a cigarette on average! That seems a bit long to me. If you take it down to 5 minutes to account for the nice long luxurious ones with a glass of wine in the beer garden, and then the rushed ones in the rain just because you have to have your fix, then that means in four months I have saved myself 147 hours to do something else!!!!!!!
    Anyway, carry on you, I will check back for reports :)
    For the record I am 126 days and also chuffed with myself.

15. dominant_tonic

That would be 5 months then!!!!!!! 151 days, 2114 cigarettes not smoked, and 549.64 quid saved. :)
    So based on my usual brand, thats 21,140mg of tar, and the same of carbon monoxide, with a slightly smaller 1902 mg of nicotine that I would have inhaled! I don't know what these figures really mean, but they seem suitably big! [​IMG]
    How are you doing Maccemgirl?

16. Hi tonic!

I am doing really well thanks. Have not touched once since August 10th and feel so proud! I have bought some lovely brown leather boots which were stupidly expensive but I had been saving my "smoking money" . I am feeling veryclean and very healthy!

17. Day 45 for me. Some days easier than others. I did give up for 6 months a year ago and then stupidly fell off wagon.

Luckily for me Mr Chillie HATES smoking so it helps at home, have more trouble at work with routine.
    All my friends/colleagues are primed to answer 10 mins when I say I want a cigarette as that's what I tell myself. I can have one in 10 minutes, invariably I forget about it and the craving has passed.

18. Congrats!!! I am a 30 a day girl...utterly revolted with self. Does Champix work? x

19. i am using patches myself but i know 2 people who have used Champix, one is stil not smoking one year on and the other started again after 6 months.

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[*]Many, many congratulations. What a brilliant achievement.[*]
    Only people who have already gone through it know how heroic it is.
    Keep going - it gets easier over time [​IMG]