1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No sign of any induction being given...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sparklycrayon, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I completed my PGCE this July. I was only able to find part-time (0.4) work at a sixth-form college but it is for the full school year. I have enquired about Induction- eg how it is provided, what I have to do but I haven't heard anything back after asking on a number of occasions. I'm getting a bit worried that I will be getting left behind or they won't actually sign off any part of my induction.
    Is anybody else in a similar situation?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need to chase this up a.s.a.p.
    The issue at this stage isn't so much whether thjey will be signing off Induction terms but whether they have even registered you as an NQT with the LA.
    The LA allows a few week's grace in most cases where schools/colleges fail to register you as soon as you start work but it's now 6 weeks into the term and they're unlikely to backdate Induction to the beginning of September.
    You may want Union support.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The sixth form college have to make specific arrangements with an LA in order to offer induction- this includes you having to spend time at KS4. Sixth form colleges are not bound by the regulation of having to offer induction so you should discuss this with your line manager as a matter of urgency.

4. Thank you for the advice.
    I am beyond frustrated by all of these set backs. What I can't understand is why at no point in the PGCE year do they sensibly prepare you for your onward journey as an NQT. We were simply told that it was the schools/ colleges responsibility to provide us with a tailored programme for induction and that every establishment was diferent.
    I have a feeling there must be other people who have also lost out on Induction progress due to a complete lack of information being provided.
    Am going to go and talk to my HOD tomorrow and ask if there are other NQT's that they have hired and also overlooked.
    Thank you again.

5. As mentioned already, induction is not obligatory in a sixth form college and, if offered must be negotiated with the Local Authority. Even if it is negotiated now, it cannot be backdated to the start of your post.
    I appreciate what you say about preparation during the PGCE and, as you may assume I do talk to all the PGCE students in my university about induction and the ssues and probalems they may encounter. Unfortunately the links between students and the providers are lost once you graduate and the varirty of jobs out there and the various different posts that you can take up mean that satisfying all trainees queries is very difficult if not impossible.
    What you need to do is to get your HOD or someone from the senior leadership team in your collegfe to talk directly to you about induction and whether they will arrange this through the LA (be aware that the LA may charge the college and this may be a reason for them to say no) if they refuse to arrange it there is nothing that can be done as the law does not require a sixth form college to run induction.
    James