1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No show - is this common?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by niky257, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hi

So, been a private tutor for 3 weeks and already my 2nd post on here for advice!

Only 3rd week in and have had a no show tonight - does this happen often? Feel a bit gutted as feel it's personal/I was no good/etc etc - actually, I'm worried they think I was terrible and will get a bad reputation? Although, other tutees seem to be fine so far.

If I'm honest with myself, this is the one I thought would be the most unreliable - ie. not a lot of interest, dad promises to email me info. etc and nothing arrives, but I also feel that as he was my very first tutee I didnt do the best job and this is why he hasnt showed tonight - and what to do now? Assume they will come next week or phone them?

Sorry for bad grammar, it's been a long day

Niky

2. It's not common, I'd give them a quick call and say that you expected them last night and you're just checking to make sure they are okay. At the end of the call I'd also give them a little reminder "ok, so I'll see you next week won't I?"

3. I know tutors are at the mercy of their clients, but if it happens again without explanation, then politely drop the student. Don't be b*ggered about even if you get £20 an hour

4. well, emailed to ask politely why they had not turned up and hoped it was nothing to do with the tutoring - got a call at 9 the next morning very apologetic - coming tomorrow night instead - so we'll see -- but I must learn not to be so understanding :)

5. Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}

I agree with someone else an cancellation policy is the best way to approach - this is mine below - I have had one cancellation at short notice - in 4 months- I
    Cancellation policy

Please note I reserve the
    right to charge for lessons cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Clearly if there is a sudden illness or emergency
    I would hope to rearrange.

I suggest lessons are
    arranged a month or so in advance for both your and my own convenience.

I would also after the first
    month like payment in advance

Cash, cheques or BACS is
    fine for payment