1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

no science gcse, can i still be a teacher?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mayarakhi1, Jul 11, 2019.

  1. mayarakhi1

    mayarakhi1 New commenter

    so im in the process of applying for a place in uni for next year however most require a gcse in science which I didn't get as I faild it :/ has anyone taken any alternative routes or ,know any uni's studying primary education that will accept me?
  2. Oldfashioned

    Oldfashioned Senior commenter

    Fairly sure you need science GCSE, sorry.
  3. binaryhex

    binaryhex Lead commenter

    You passed English?
  4. mandala1

    mandala1 Occasional commenter

    You need a science GCSE or equivalent to enrol on a teacher education course.
  5. sabram86

    sabram86 Occasional commenter

    To be fair, you only need it for primary teaching. You can still apply for secondary teaching.
    Kateray1 likes this.
  6. yodaami2

    yodaami2 Lead commenter

    I'd be a little disappointed if I found that my child was being taught by someone who does not have the capacity to pass a GCSE at grade C in Science. So if you have the capacity just retake it.
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. averagedan

    averagedan Occasional commenter

    Primary - no.
    Secondary - unlikely unless they're really desperate to fill a DfE quota.

    You may also wish to find out about the skills tests - I think they're still a thing.
    yodaami2 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Stiltskin

    Stiltskin Lead commenter

    Most ITT providers will accept science equivalency test results. If you have an idea of where you want to apply to talk to them and they will be able to direct you.
  9. Piscean1

    Piscean1 Senior commenter

    You need Science to teach in primary. Science is still allegedly a core subject (just about) so you are expected to have a qualification in it to be able to teach it.

    Secondary is an option without Science as far as I know.
  10. Kateray1

    Kateray1 Occasional commenter

    I taught secondary science as an hlta a few years ago, you need gcse for primary but only for secondary if you are going to teach science, and of course a degree in a science subject at 2.2 or above.
  11. mayarakhi1

    mayarakhi1 New commenter

    yep got a 5
  12. dunnocks

    dunnocks Star commenter

    just take a science GCSE, it isn't hard.

Share This Page