1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no science gcse, can i still be a teacher?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mayarakhi1, Jul 11, 2019.

1. mayarakhi1

mayarakhi1 New commenter

so im in the process of applying for a place in uni for next year however most require a gcse in science which I didn't get as I faild it :/ has anyone taken any alternative routes or ,know any uni's studying primary education that will accept me?

2. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Fairly sure you need science GCSE, sorry.

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You passed English?

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You need a science GCSE or equivalent to enrol on a teacher education course.

5. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

To be fair, you only need it for primary teaching. You can still apply for secondary teaching.

Kateray1 likes this.
  6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I'd be a little disappointed if I found that my child was being taught by someone who does not have the capacity to pass a GCSE at grade C in Science. So if you have the capacity just retake it.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Primary - no.
    Secondary - unlikely unless they're really desperate to fill a DfE quota.

You may also wish to find out about the skills tests - I think they're still a thing.

yodaami2 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Most ITT providers will accept science equivalency test results. If you have an idea of where you want to apply to talk to them and they will be able to direct you.

9. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

You need Science to teach in primary. Science is still allegedly a core subject (just about) so you are expected to have a qualification in it to be able to teach it.

Secondary is an option without Science as far as I know.

10. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I taught secondary science as an hlta a few years ago, you need gcse for primary but only for secondary if you are going to teach science, and of course a degree in a science subject at 2.2 or above.

11. mayarakhi1

mayarakhi1 New commenter

yep got a 5

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

just take a science GCSE, it isn't hard.