1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No response after interview

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by krb102, Jun 6, 2011.

1. A community school in Shanghai did this to me this year. I kept emailing and they kept saying saying they would tell me soon. They never did. An Anglo-American school in Sofia also never told me the outcome of my interview.

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

My exact situation. I wish they had the basic decency to let candidates know.

3. wairua

wairua New commenter

I had a different experience. Attended an interview, was sent an email telling me I was unsuccessful, then the principal, who had interviewed me, called me to offer me the position. When I informed him I had been rejected, he had no knowledge of this and asked me to forward him the email so he could speak to the person/s responsible.

Perhaps the people who interviewed the OP think they have been informed of the out come. I suggest contacting the school/person who conducted the interview.

4. Similarly, I was told that a job was virtually mine but had to attend an interview to tie up loose ends. Then nothing. I rang the school directly, they apologised, told me to get down to London for an interview and then gave me the job.
    There had been a muck up in the process and I was lying in a tray, so to speak.
    Make the call.

5. Training_2_Teach

I e-mailed twice and also made the call. The HR assistant apologised for the long wait andfobbed me off by saying the headteacher hasn't made a decision yet but will definately tomorrow which was almost three weeks ago.

6. Training_2_Teach

I want this thread to remain open so will not name the school, if you would like to know which school I am referring to then I will PM it to you.

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Reality is if you haven't heard from a school within a week, or by the date they say they will decide, you are not first choice. You then have to give up or hope the first choice pulls out.
    Whatever you do, do not stop applying for posts just because you have an interview. Keep applying until you have a written contract in your hand!
    Some of the advice above is clutching at imaginary straws.

8. Here's an imaginary straw or two for you.
    Dear suchandsuch,
    Thank you for your interest in the XXXXX post. On this occasion we have decided: not to appoint; to appoint another candidate.
    Or: 'we still have not made a decision; please feel free too apply for other posts in the meantime'.
    Or: Unfortunately, we have just noticed from your app that you are a northerner; you're having a laugh aren't you?
    Or something like that - doesn't hurt to get the dolly PA to knock something up and the great suited one just signs it, eh?
    Don't defend bad manners, MM.

9. Training_2_Teach

I made such a mistake by not applying for another popular school in the ME because I was under the impression that I may just get offered the job after the interview as I knew I had the experience they were looking for and they had contacted my referees. What a fool I was.

10. Training_2_Teach

[​IMG]

11. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Tbh, in today's internet soaked world, every candidate who applies for a position and who doesn't get the post, should be sent a 'thanks, but no thanks' email. It takes a school secretary little time and should be standard practice. More respect is needed in our profession from management and owners; highly ironic it is a main deficiency given the business we are in.

12. bilby

bilby New commenter

Interview in January.... Haven't heard anything..mmmm wonder if I got the job.???!!!! Well known school in Bangkok that likes sitting at a round table!!! Soo unprofessional I wouldnt send my children there obviously no respect for teachers..

13. MisterMaker

Yes, wouldn't it be lovely. Perhaps we should tie a red ribbon on the rejection letters and emails too.
    If a school receives several hundred applications, it is not financially worthwhile to have the school secretary responding to each and every one. It has nothing to do with respect, simply practicalities.
    Unsuccessful interviewees should eventually be sent a no thank you response, but this won't be sent straight away if they are a decent candidate; if you had a rejection very quickly after interview, take it that you did badly enough that they would take you on under any circumstances. Leaving 2nd or 3rd choices hanging is necessary whilst the 'paperwork' is completed; only after contracts are signed would I inform the 2nd or 3rd choice candidates that they were unsuccessful and in some cases this could be as long as three weeks.
    As to the latest post, if you're still waiting to hear from Bangkok you have gone beyond clutching at straws and are now need psychiatric help for delusionary tendencies.

14. When your school obtains access to the internet, MM, it might be in a position to inform many people at the same time with very little cost that their application was unsuccessful.
    Tricky tying the ribbon to that one though - I'll grant you. However, I doubt red ribbons would be forthcoming from professional institutes, just Mickey Mouse (ooh, there's a coincidence..) ones. [​IMG]

15. MisterMaker

[​IMG]
    Dear Mr Phoney,
    Thank you for your interest in our school. We were delighted that someone ass passionate for balls ass your good self was interested in our school.
    Unfortunately, on this occassion you were unsuccassful in being shortlisted. I hope this little email is enough to console you in your disappointment.
    Yours,
    Mr Maker's secretary
    teachers have really turned into fragile things if they need responses to everything they write. Poor you, FP.

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Then there is that amazing thing called a data base and an email merge. Perhaps MM's secretary is too frazzled coping with MM's fabulous sense of humour.

17. Don't 'poor me', MM - you reply everytime!
    The ribbons were nice, too.
    What's your obsession with ass, or shouldn't we go there...

18. It's called common curtsey to response to an application. In the age of emails it's not a difficult/expensive task.

19. Close Bulegila - the common curtsey is what a staff member from Eastenders offers to the Queen on Paladium day!
    Common courtesy is what MM and his like should be showing to teachers keen to work on his/their shop floor.
    True - after all - look what his sexy sec. came up with in his post to me. Beeaauuuuuuuutiful.
    [​IMG]

20. That's what I get for not checking when I'm replying on my phone :p

So to restate it's only common courtesy to reply to people applying for a job even if it's just a standard rejection letter. No need for the bows even though they were very pretty MM. ;)