1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No respect & stressed out

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nattig, Mar 15, 2011.

1. <font face="Calibri">Was having a brilliant time at my second placement until we came back from half term. The school is brilliant but I&rsquo;m starting to feel unwanted here. There are a few teachers here in my department and I take classes from each of them. It is very difficult as they all have their own ideas about what I should be doing in my classes and what is good practice in the eyes of one teacher is bad practice in the eyes of another.</font><font face="Calibri">My mentor is very busy and doesn&rsquo;t have a lot of time for me. I don&rsquo;t feel as though he respects me at all. I think that because I am young (22) and female he looks down on me. </font><font face="Calibri">I love teaching when I don&rsquo;t have someone sitting in the room staring at me the whole time and so I know that I&rsquo;ll be fine once my PGCE is over &ndash; but everyday I&rsquo;m counting down the days until I finish. That shouldn&rsquo;t be right?!</font><font face="Calibri">I&rsquo;ve tried to talk to my university mentor but again, he is very busy and doesn&rsquo;t respond to my e-mails. Since I am a Secondary PGCE student, I am in placement now, without going back to university until the end of May. </font>Is there any way of coping with stresses like these??

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

You do what experienced teachers do for OfSted.
    In general, follow the school rules and procedures; have clear boundaries and stay professional. Jump through the hoops required by the class teacher when you are being observed. Do it your own way once you qualify.

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

come on here and vent to other trainees and experienced teachers :) you are honestly not alone!!

although everyones experiences are different, and some of us have been fortunate enough to have incredibly supportive mentors whereas others feel a little bit more isolated, it is a very stressful year for everyone.

As Eva says, jump through the hoops, take the advice and try and try again - all we can do is our best! Just think - only about 10 more teaching weeks of pgce and then your done [​IMG]