1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No resources!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwells88, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I am an NQT in my first term at school and the school I work in has very suddenly had to close and we have been relocated to an empty almost conference like space. The real bad news is that we were not allowed to take anything out of the school at all!!! With that, I now face the challenge of teaching my Year 5 children with next to nothing to aid me. This is a back to basics approach but as an NQT I have been trained to use all sorts of resources and technology so I am at a bit of a dead end in ideas.
    I do not want to just fill the time keeping them busy, I want them to still be learning and making progress. Any ideas of how I can do this will be greatly appreciated. This is for a minimum of 3 weeks up until Easter, but if things are not fixed within the school, could be even longer. Please help!

2. Why can't you take any resources with you? I'm confused. Why did the school have to close?

3. Asbestos scare! They don't no the extent of it yet, so for safety precautions we were not allowed to anything with us incase it is contaminated!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I would do lots of basic chalk and talk lessons. Boring after a few weeks maybe, but hey they will still learn. Possibly some drama as well. Pencil line drawings in art can be very effective, also get children to bring in their own colour pencils and pens from home. Teach the science that doesn't lend itself well to experiments, so earth and space type topics.

And pray hard that you can go back before easter.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

What a difficult situation! Is there any way you could contact other local schools and ask them to lend you some key resources? I'm sure most schools would be happy to help in such a situation.
    Best of luck!
    Carrie [​IMG]