1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No QTS, no job. PGCE 14+ only.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by monkey_001, Sep 24, 2019.

1. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

After 6 months of applying I found luck in a college but the mentoring was abysmal so the contract ended. Now I really want to go back to teaching. Offered a job in Kuwait and one in Abu Dhabi but declined them from research of this forum that it's not all that very glamorous.

So now what do I do? How do I become a teacher?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Get QTS.

3. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

And that is where the difficulty becomes. How and where? Please advise.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Complete a teacher training course. Do schools direct or teach first (or equivalent) and get paid at the same time.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To be fair...teaching in the UK isn't all that very glamorous either!

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

CalypsoDalma likes this.
  7. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

Need help. I have registered. What are the next steps? It states applications are open from the 1st Oct. What do I need to prepare? Will I need to do a skills test or prepare a statement? I do not know what is required. Please assist.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Call 'get into teaching' and they’ll tell you all.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

it’s all outlined on the get into teaching page and the UCAS site

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. ssaleh21

ssaleh21 New commenter

complete QTLS?

11. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm afraid that if you need this level of support to put in your application, you are not going to cope with ITT, let alone a teaching career.

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Possibly I'm in a bad mood as my boiler has gone kaput, but this thread is irritating me.

You state you do have a PGCE 14+ - therefore, you should really know how to write an application and the fact you will need to do skills tests. You were offered a job in Kuwait and Abu Dubai yet you turned them down because a few anonymous people on this forum - who could just be trolling for giggles - told you its not that glamorous. Neither is teaching in a school. Trust me.

What exactly are you looking for? You seem very dependent on others and also very quick to take what is said to you at face value. You left your college post due to bad mentoring - did you raise that with the college or just go? I think you really do need to work out what you want to do, and perhaps trust your own judgement rather than that of others. Unless those others have hard evidence to back their view up.

EBC and sabrinakat like this.
  13. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

I am new to this and I scanned through the website and now have a familiar idea. No need to be make hasty judgements. I am afraid if you make hasty judgements such as this, it makes for a less than efficient teacher. Patience is a key quality.

14. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

They did have hard evidence. I was chatting away other than work with the students. They said it was not good teaching and that was the end of that.

If you have a medical problem you go see your doctor because they are the experts. Now if you are unsure about teaching abroad, you would find the group of experts and they can be found here. It is always good to take advice from experts to make up your own judgement. It is certainly not good to be hasty....which appears to be a common theme on here.

15. monkey_001

monkey_001 New commenter

If I find the exp...

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ummm doctors train for many years to become experts...they don't offer opinions.
    People on here are not always experts and often have an axe to grind. All of us have no more than anecdotal examples to offer.

If you want a glamorous job, then teaching is not for you in any country.

Shedman likes this.
  17. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I'm not sure what your first para here refers to. But you wouldn't, I hope, go on a forum and ask for medical advice, for good reason even fora where you have to be a doctor to be a member, and therefore the person asking the advice is also a doctor, only give advice with a lot of caveats and provisos!

You've been sign posted to the sites that hold all of the information needed to work out whether and how to apply for teacher training if that's what you want to do.

18. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

In their opinion it was not good.

You could always go out and see for yourself.

19. CalypsoDalma

CalypsoDalma New commenter

You can find out more information about QTLS and applying here: https://set.et-foundation.co.uk/professionalism/qtls/register-for-qtls/. The next 'window for registration' is in December and it costs £485 (there's some flexibility regarding payment.)

I'm also only qualified to teach in FE (including teaching students aged 14+ in an FE/training centre setting) and plan to undertake QTLS. I know my post is lengthy, but here's my understanding of the topic in question (I've split it into headed sections), and I hope it will help to clarify your position.

Teacher Training for Schools or FE/ What is QTLS?

To be fair to monkey_001, FE trained teachers are in a different position to those trained for teaching in schools. Whereas school-trained teachers are automatically qualified to teach in FE/relevant training centres (Aspire-I etc) FE-trained teachers don't have QTS and need to achieve QTLS (the equivalent of QTS) to teach in local authority schools. Most education career experts don't seem to understand what applies/doesn't apply to us and where we stand in the education system.

Even many experienced FE lecturers (including my education lecturers) don't undertake QTLS and they tend to have a fairly limited understanding of what the process entails.

People who train to teach in FE (who don't have QTLS) are kind of in 'limbo' between being 'qualified' and 'unqualified' teachers: if we want to teach in an FE setting/training centre, we're classed as 'qualified' to teach our subject(s) but, because we don't have QTS, we're not qualified to teach in local authority schools. As far as I understand, we're also OK to teach in private schools but I'm not sure about 'academies'...

A Choice of Two Routes

If you're happy to stick to teaching in FE/training centres, you're OK to proceed with the qualification you already have. You also have the option of applying to lecture in Education & Training at HE level after a few years teaching experience.

If you want to teach in schools, but don't want to undertake QTLS, you can apply for teaching positions in private and independent schools and some schools abroad might be happy to take you to teach in local authority schools, you need to attain QTS or QTLS (to gain parity with QTS teachers) but it might be possible to do this while you're still undertaking your QTLS (on the condition that you complete the process.)

To attain QTS, you can apply for a school-based teacher training course/qualification and effectively 'start over' with other student teachers. You may be able to get funding and loans to do this and would receive the same training and support available to other student teachers based in school (ie those who haven't previously trained to teach in FE.) The cons are that you would have more placement hours and coursework to complete and might feel frustrated by having to repeat certain aspects of your education training.

It would probably be quicker and easier for you to go down the QTLS route, which involves registering for the process (refer to the link above), paying a fee, securing a QTLS placement and mentor, and completing the workbook. I believe that the workbook assignments mostly consist of submitting evidence of meetings/consultations with mentors, CPD, lesson observation write-ups and your reflections.

Requirements for QTLS

The strange thing about QTLS is that you need to complete the process in an FE setting- even if you are also teaching in a local authority school. This strikes me as counterproductive in that you need QTLS (or to be at least working towards this status) in order to gain a permanent teaching role in local authority schools.

I'm not sure how easy it is to secure a QTLS mentor and placement- especially as even many FE teachers are unfamiliar with the process-but the institution you trained with (for FE teaching) might be able to advise you and/or arrange something. I understand that you'll need a minimum of three teaching hours per week and, as long as you can meet the process requirements, can do this on a voluntary basis.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

EBC likes this.
  20. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

A major drawback with QTLS is that is has to be continually updated (paid for). It isn't a one off fee of £485, that's just your first year. In terms of the 'workbook', you will find it also replicates the work undertaken during PGCE - there isn't a shortcut.

It really is a no-brainer that if you have the choice, go for QTS. It's for life.