1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No poos on the potty!!!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by clawthorpegirl, Jun 26, 2011.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Can any one help? My 2yr 10mth old son is refusing to poo unless we put a nappy on him. He's great at doing a wee on the potty or standing on a step at the toilet but he won't sit on the toilet and has only once done a poo on the potty. He knows when he needs a poo and hasn't had any accidents but just won't let it out until he has a nappy!
    We've tried bribes, being really firm, the whole grown up boy talk and simply not putting the nappy on - nothing so far worked. He still wears a nappy at bedtime so a couple of times has waited all day till bedtime to poo - am worried this is going to make him constipated.
    Any suggestions from people who've been there appreciated. Also in September he'll be joining FS1 at 'big school' so really want to get this sorted before then.
    Thanks

2. No advice but my 2.2 year old will wee on potty but not poo. I was hoping it would automatically resolve itself when I start potty training properly but maybe not.

3. My son did thiswhen we started potty at 2 and 3 months. He was dry all day but would save his poos up for his night nappy. Not really an issue for nursery etc as he didnt do it during the day. He seemed a bit scared of doing it on the toilet but eventually and really when he was ready he did it and realised it wasn't that bad. It prob took about 6 months and we couldn't really rush it on. xx

4. My sister had the same problem with my niece.

She bought her some extra special pants (I think they were Dora the explorer!) and she was allowed to wear them after she'd done a poo that day. Apparently it worked a treat and removed a lot of the stress out of the situation for both of them.

5. My son is nearly 3 and is great at weeing on the loo (we use one of those toilet seat inserts so he doesn't fall in) but he won't poo on the loo. We'll just keep giving it some time and every time he says he wants a nappy on to do a poo, offer to take him to the toilet instead. He'll do it when he's ready, I figure. Frustrating but the whole potty training thing has been a headache as my DH isn't really into doing it (he's a stay-at-home dad for our two children) and he still wears nappies to go out! Hoping the summer hols will provide a good time to crack the whole thing permanently!

6. Have you tried putting a nappy in the potty? Then gradually putting less of the nappy in, have heard it works for some.

7. I like that idea, cakeface [​IMG]
    Another possible idea, although it sounds a bit grim - I take my son to the loo with me and we flush the toilet together and say 'bye-bye pee/poo' which sounds completely bonkers, I know...!

8. I remember reading that some feel they are loosing part of them when they poo and saying goodbye to them and saying they are going to join the other poos to play helps!

9. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Thanks every one, we're already doing most of those things.
    He loves to tip his poo out of the nappy and into the toilet and no one in our household is allowed to have a poo unless he is there to observe and to flush it away!!!! The things no one told you about having children!

Might try the nappy in the potty but looks like we'll just have to wait for him to be ready.