1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No poo - time to worry?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MisterFlibble, May 3, 2012.

1. Considering how awful the day's been (our dog's gone missing) I suspect this will all be bad news.

She hasn't pooed for a couple of days - and she's mix fomula/breast fed (tend to do formula during the day and bm at night)... loads of wet nappies but no poo at all. Also seems to have a bit of a cold and snotty nose - and I'm worried about that too. Just don't know at what point the poo thing becomes a problem in FF babies so mildly freaking out that something's wrong.
    Would bother the doc tomorrow but have to finally go register her birth - time's run down a lot, our local office is closed so everwhere else has like 2+ week waits for appointments.
    Guess I'm still scared something awful will happen and we'll lose her.

2. Considering how awful the day's been (our dog's gone missing) I suspect this will all be bad news.

She hasn't pooed for a couple of days - and she's mix fomula/breast fed (tend to do formula during the day and bm at night)... loads of wet nappies but no poo at all. Also seems to have a bit of a cold and snotty nose - and I'm worried about that too. Just don't know at what point the poo thing becomes a problem in FF babies so mildly freaking out that something's wrong.
    Would bother the doc tomorrow but have to finally go register her birth - time's run down a lot, our local office is closed so everwhere else has like 2+ week waits for appointments.
    Guess I'm still scared something awful will happen and we'll lose her.

3. No worries at all. LO was completely formula fed and at about 2 weeks old din't poo for 6 days! Doctor said 2 weeks and we worry...

4. im guessing she's quite young. My little boy was very irregular with his poos, once went 15 days without a poo, when he did go it was everywhere! My HV just said as long as he was having regular wet nappies not to worry. There are a couple of things you can do which may help, get her naked and on a towel in a warm room, place your hand gently on her stomach with the heel of your hand just under her belly button then gently sweep your hand in a semi circle to the right, use a little olive oil on your hand to help. The other thing you can do is gently cycle her legs, this helped my little one but i used to wince in case his bottom did explode!. The HV also told me to massage around his back passage as it all helps stimulate.
    If your very concerned can you ring your HV?
    I know its very worrying, his poos seemed to be fine one week then he wouldnt go for ages but its natural and part of their bodies developing. As for colds and snotty noses im afraid thats what you'll get for ages now, to be honest i wouldnt know what he looks like without a green nose!
    I hope you find your dog too! it never rains but it pours. Sending you virtual hugs xx

5. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi, try not to worry too much but get a doctor to feel her tummy to check she's not constipated.
    We had this with LO at 1 week old and she didn't poo for 6 days (midwives were panicking about it but doctor wasn't).
    They said no one knows what is classed as 'normal' regarding pooing habits for babies!
    Unfortunately my baby ended up being given a suppository and it worked after 2 minutes (this didn't bother her at all she was fine). I feel that she was going to poo any moment anyway.
    After that she has pooed at least every day and a half, usually once a day and hasn't has any problems.
    I think it's because formula takes longer in their system to absorb and pass through. I worried myself silly over it but shouldn't have as all was ok in the end.
    They do worry if baby has never passed any stools or only ever passes meconium.
    xxx

6. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

We cycled her legs and rubbed some sudocreme on the outside of her back passage too x

7. It's understandable in the circumstances for you to worry MisterF- but I can assure you that two days with no poo is so normal. When we started weaning my boy he was a little constipated; the massage as described above worked an absolute treat. Remember the gut works clockwise and just apply pressure in a clockwise direction as well ad the half moon and pressure from under belly button downwards (maybe google baby massage/colic massage or even better, get yourself on a course run by your sure start centre if you have one) I sincerely hope you find your dog. Lots of love x

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It's totally normal, try not to worry!
    My son, until he was 3 months old, used to only poo once every 3 days, like clockwork! He was mix fed for the first 10 weeks.
    My daughter wasn't a regular pooer either! She was also mix fed, although mainly BF for the first few weeks.

9. MisterF, hope your dog has turned up (I think it has, as I have been browsing another forum elsewhere online earlier, and I think I may have found you there... either that or another unlucky soul whose dog went missing when she is off to register baby's birth today....) Not stalking you, honestly!!

10. Yes dog's turned up this morning, and is now at the vets costing us ridiculous amounts of money to repair the mess she's made of her legs and paws!

Still nada on poo-gate - have been cycling her legs in the air like she's training for the olympics but I just get repaid with her trumping in my face.

11. MrF - good news re dog. Glad she has turned up. Try not to worry about lack of poo - I'm sure your LO will amke up for it at a later date!

12. The poonami apperared... and on daddy's nappy change which makes it all the better - good girl!

13. Well done, Erin!! Glad the dog is back safe & sound - even if she is being a bit of a drama queen....