1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No phone call today.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by eal2, Sep 16, 2009.

1. It's jeans and trainers today. I'm going out to go round post offices and put my card up for tutoring today. What is any one else doing to keep from going stir crazy.

2. It's jeans and trainers today. I'm going out to go round post offices and put my card up for tutoring today. What is any one else doing to keep from going stir crazy.

3. Don't worry Eal2, I am in the same position as you. I feel like everyone else who is doing supply is gradually returning to work except for me! Still waiting for that illusive first phone call! I am convinced that the phone will eventually ring on the only day I can't make! I keep applying for other teaching posts, planning eloborate meals for tea and watching the entire contents of BBCi player! Oh and trying not to fall asleep... Oh the joys!

4. Me too, wasn't expecting September to be quite so quiet. I have one regular day booked each week, but nothing else coming in. I get up and ready just in case, then spend the morning looking for jobs online (teaching and non), phoning my agency to remind them I'm alive and watching rubbish TV. Roll on October!

5. That's still quite good, sorry to say but I envy you Kermit! At least if I had that one day a week guaranteed I would be able to enjoy the time that I have off (because it is quite a luxury!) and not have the overwhelming feeling of guilt because I am contributing absolutely nothing at all financially that I have at the moment.

6. That is true, it is a relief having at least a bit of work booked. I still have the guilt though, 8 weeks off is a lot of time. I think I've forgotten everything! I'm going to arrange a bit of voluntary work today, just to feel useful again. There is only so much "This Morning" you can watch :)

7. A stay at home day for me today as well. I have so far worked four days out of a possible 8, so that is more than I thought I would, but could do with some more to keep the money ticking over.

8. Haha! I worry that too! Did you find that it took you a while to get back into the swing of things or did all of it just come flooding back once you had set foot inside a school?

Now I really am jealous! At the moment I think I'd be bouncing off the walls if I found so much as a pound coin on the street! [​IMG] Ok, slight exaggeration there, but you get the picture!
    Is September usually this quiet, and if so, when does it start to pick up?!

9. I'm the same, haven't had any work yet. Getting fairly desperate, need to get out of the house soon and do something before I go completely mad! What councils is everyone registered with?

10. Hi Frankie. I have just been reading some of your other posts. I only started supply in February, and came into it through a situation that is very very similar to yours. I have been told sept is quiet, but it picks up in the last week.

I think you will find it a big change to what you have bee through, and it has helped me to build up my confidence, and you know what?? I love it. I finish between 3.30 and 4.00, and I go home and have my life back.

If you want to get in touch about anything you are worried about, feel free.

EmmaMur01@googlemail.com

11. Thank you very much, I will probably be e-mailing you or PMing you at some point soon because I am a born worrier! I am sorry to hear that you went through something similar to me, it was the worst year of my life and I wouldn't wish the same on anyone. It's good to hear from someone who has come out of the other side and sound so positive as what you do. I hope it will build up my confidence again too. How long did it take before you got work as a newbie supply and how many days are you averaging to do a week?

12. Don't worry, me too! The schools in my area tend to have a preferred agency rather than use the council, to be honest I'm not sure whether the council even operates one themselves! So I have signed up to two agencies that most of the local schools seem to use. Are you registered with an LEA direct then?

13. I'm in Scotland, and the supply works through the council rather than agencies. I'm signed up with two different councils, Glasgow city council and West Dunbartonshire council. Neither of which seem to have any jobs for me! I'm hoping that it'll pick up soon!

14. Me too... Just waiting for all the courses to start and all the illnesses to start doing their rounds!

15. I've not had any work yet but on the plus side to greeting card companies that I've not done any work for in ages have both contacted me asking me to send in ideas for new ranges they are producing. Hopefully this should keep be ticking over until swine flu finally arrives.

16. Do you write the verses or draw the pictures?
    I had some ideas for cards but never followed it up.

17. The comany tend to send me photographs which I then come up with captions for. The market has been quiet with the recession but the fact that two companies have been in touch hopefully means trade might be picking up.

18. That reminds me of one of my favourite comedy sketches -' Fry and Laurie,' where Hugh Laurie is working behind a card counter for specifically captioned cards. It's on Youtube.[​IMG]

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ooh, I want that job! I used to enter (and win) a lot of competitions that required slogans. Sadly, the recession seems to have drastically reduced competitions too.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Warning! Do not read if you're already depressed. Just need to rant.
    Have spent this morning going round schools, reminding them I am available for work. As I 'signed in' as a visitor at my 'regular school' where I do voluntary work one morning a week I noticed the name above mine read reason -supply. I have been going in on a voluntary basis for two years and do get the occasional day - mainly 'cos I'm in there reminding them each week. The person in charge of supply is the person 'off-sick', so I approached the other deputy, who proceeded to inform me that they only had 40 days supply allowance for the year and the budget was tight- I took that to mean 'no work expected'. I have been very loyal to this school, dropping any plans if they needed me and have always put them first, so not pushed myself too much with other schools so I would not be pre-booked if they needed me- all to provide continuity for the pupils.
    So I decided whilst I was in the area I'd call in at the other schools in the area. After the fourth school who basically told me 'budgets were tight' and one school who openly admitted they were using their HTLAs to save money, I came home very depressed. I've noticed how year on year supply was shrinking but it seems this might be the beginning of the end in my area at least. There is little alternative work around here and I might really have to think about leaving teaching- a job I am passionate about- I often say I acquired the official piece of paper to go with what I am naturally by character and nature.
    September has been quiet but it looks as if the remainder of the year could be equally so if the budgets are being cut so drastically in other places.
    Please continue to post if you do get work. It's nice to know that some schools are still putting their pupils first.