1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No pension at all?!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Purdster, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

I have an interview at a local private school but I've heard from a friend who works there that they've recently announce they are not going to be paying ANY pension contributions at all in future.
    Is this normal or indeed legal?

2. Hil2009

Hil2009 New commenter

Very unlikely if they want any staff! Like many independent schools I expect they are looking at what their provision will be as most are expected to come out of the TPS.

jodom1 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They will possibly not be paying into the TPS, but all employers must offer a pension scheme to all employees.

4. sci

sci New commenter

caterpillartobutterfly is correct- all employers must offer a pension scheme. Any changes to the current scheme need to be agreed with staff as it amounts to a change in pay and conditions.
    If independents want to attract any staff then this issue needs to be sorted only state schools will be left in the scheme. It seems the vast majority of schools are opting out of the TPS potentially leaving a big hole in that scheme and damaging it in the process.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Do you have evidence that the vast majority of schools are opting out?
    We are still at the consultation stage.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I assume you mean the "vast majority" of private schools - state schools cannot opt out of TPS. And it won't leave any hole. TPS is an Unfunded scheme, pensions and other benefits are paid for out of general taxation, not an underlying investment fund.

needabreak and annascience2012 like this.
  7. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

The consultation at my school was that we were told and that was it.

annascience2012 likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

At least they were honest enough not to pretend!

9. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

My evidence is quite the opposite. The daughter teaches in one Independent and the s-I-l in another and both have stated that they will remain in the TPS.