1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No parents evenings this session?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by xmal, Aug 12, 2020.

1. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I cant see how these can go ahead in this school year. Will we end up doing them on teams?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  2. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Socially distanced, properly managed!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Or more reporting?

4. borges33

borges33 New commenter

I'm in NLC. School confirmed yesterday that there will be no parents evenings this year.

xmal likes this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Why are they significantly more dangerous than having 40 students in a crowded, badly ventilated room? While teachers might say that parents today are ruder than they were in the past, they are less likely to grab others/cough on them than students are-and these students are in every day-supposedly! I worked in several schools and colleges, and parents were usually distanced from us, and far fewer bodies were in the room during a P/Eve than during lessons! So why aren't P/Eves a 'moral duty' if opening schools are?

6. bobsuruncle84

bobsuruncle84 New commenter

Queues of parents outside classroom doors is the obvious answer to that.
    They may be able to pretend that teenagers don't spread the virus but it's a hard sell to say parents waiting in the same narrow corridor for a prolonged period of time isn't a risk.

7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

With Parents' Nights you are basically regurgitating what you've written in the pupil reports, so from that point of view it's a waste of time. Useful for making personal contact with parents, for all of four minutes, but there's no lasting value from them. I found them enjoyable, time passed very quickly.

Far better to have more frequent reporting on pupil progress, or lack of it. Reporting regularly on attendance, homeworks done, homework marks, test marks, behaviour etc would eliminate parents' surprise that their offspring ain't the budding geniuses they think they are.

However, that's just another useful thing that's not going to happen, is it?

sicilypat, Effinbankers and GuessWho like this.
  8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

My daughter wont get this particular yearly ego boost.

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I totally agree that you cannot go ahead with classes packed with snotty students and then say no parent evenings.
    Lanarkshire has a few covid19-positive pupils. The government are now in full spin mode trying to enforce the message that no transmission takes place in schools. That will not cut much mustard with parents. School closures soon.

10. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

My daughter has come home from nursery with what is fairly obviously a cold but which features a rather nasty sounding "new persistent cough". It will be interesting to see how the school responds.

11. autoq

autoq New commenter

I agree about Parents Nights. But regarding reports, formally reporting on homework is not really worthwhile. If it became more reportable, pupils might just copy more. Or get parents/brothers/friends to do it for them.
    I give out homeworks most weeks mainly because the parents expect it (and because there are some personal benefits for pupils learning to work independantly outside of class). It is more important for my certificate classes. But I haven't marked homeworks for years. The pupils do it in class. It is half a lesson where those who do it, get proper formative feedback in terms of validating their answers and/or finding out where they went wrong or got stuck. They can also ask me questions from which the whole class can benefit. Those who didn't do it get none of this benefit. They do have to copy out the answers as I go through it. To give me a better idea of understanding, I do give out class tests more regularly though and do mark those. They are a LOT more useful.

Despite me having this discussion often with people in my department. The school do expect me to report on homework. A tick box where I have to decide how good the homework is. As such, I do keep a note of who has at least opened the homework. If they have opened it up and looked at it, that is the only fact which I can report on.

It is quite disappointing the number of teachers who spend hours marking homework thinking that it is telling them something, who are then surprised when little Joe doesn't do well in his test ... yeah because he wasn't the one doing the homework. Or he copied it.

For a profession who want to be taken seriously, homework and reports are at least two areas which highlight the opposite.

Alice K likes this.