1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No one in my school striking

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DOfan, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I was all set to strike on Wednesday but then found out that I would be the only person from my school doing so. The school is open as ususal and me being on strike will make no impact at all.
    I'm also getting pressure from my DDH not to strike. He works in the private sector where no one is in a union and no one has ever been on strike.
    I have decided not to strike butl not convinced I've made the right decision.

2. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

What response do you want? I am surprised that no-one in your school is striking...was there adverse pressure from management, or even just sly comments? There is nothing wrong with being the only person on strike - it just depends on your stance!

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

do what you think is right. your ddh can keep his nose out!

4. I am disappointed with the number of teachers at my school who are not striking even though they are members of a teaching union. The school will be closed to children as some teachers are striking so they are all intending to catch up with marking and planning etc - on the backs of those of us who are fighting for our pension rights! I did suggest that a colleague made a donation to charity from her salary for the day but she looked at me as if I was mad! Maybe it is me who is mad to support a strike despite huge reservations about the likely success of the industrial action on the 30th.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Quite a lot of teachers in my school and my city are striking but I have spoken to a few teachers who are still going in to school as they see it as an easy student free day.
    I considered doing the same as I need the money but for me I want to make a stand against the proposed pension changes. It will financially cripple me to lose nearly 10% of my salary to a pension, I am part time as that is all that I could get so the extra pension contributions will cause me financial hardship.
    You don't have to tell the school you are striking, if you change your mind then don't go in tomorrow. It has got to be your decision though, don't let other staff sway you with their comments. My HOD isn't striking as he is retiring this year and so will not be affected and is pushing me not to strike, I told him that I would be to his disapproval.
    Decide what is more important to you and make your own independant decision whether to strike based on your own thoughts in relation to the pension situation.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My brother-in-law works for the Council and would have been striking but my niece's primary school is closing for the day and parents were advised by the school to book a parental leave day if they needed to be at home to look after children. So he'll be absent from work and not losing a day's pay.