1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No OFSTED in July?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Jun 17, 2015.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I heard from a teaching colleague, who's head is training to be an OFSTED inspector, that there are no inspections in July as the inspectors are undergoing training for the new framework. Has anyone else heard this, or is it just wishful thinking?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Wishful thinking. An inspection can take place in the last week of the term.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I heard the same today funnily enough. New framework prep.

4. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Soooo...perhaps there may be a grain of truth in it....? i know that they can normally take place until the last week of term, but i wasn't sure with the new framework.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I heard the same thing last week.

6. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Ooh it must be that time of year- this is an annual discussion and yes they can come at any time.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

This is different. The annual discussion often happens yes and there is usually no truth in it as Ofsted can come at any time. Usually. However, the message being banded around LAs is that this year, Ofsted are en masse preparing for new framework rolling out in Sept and as such, will not be inspecting in last 2 weeks of term.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I wonder how long this framework will last before it collapses, with weak spots overloaded, just like all the others.

9. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

HMI told us this some time ago, as Contracts end at end of June and the all the training for new framework will be for in house folk. However, they haven't been able to keep up with numbers of schools that require inspection and so contracts have had to be extended. We are RI and now overdue...

10. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

www.bbc.co.uk/.../education-33198707

No inspections until September as this has stopped, and is why ofsted have "sacked" 40% of its inspectors, ready for a new, leaner inspector service to start in September.

New ofsted criteria says outstanding schools will never be inspected again, barring major data dips/ safeguarding issues.

11. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps I could advise, (as a current Ofsted inspector who is one of those whose services has not been dispensed with) that for some schools which are due inspection, that the inspection programme will continue until the end of this term.

Some posters really should rely upon authentic sources of information rather than hearsay.

13. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I was told by an HMI that there are unlikely to be any inspections in July due to training. That sounded fairly authentic to me.

14. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I assume that this means you are expecting to be involved in a July inspection, Nomad.

FWIIW, I take everything I hear, either word of mouth or in the media, with an enormous pinch of salt these days. Oops - there goes my Healthy Schools status;-)

15. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Nomad - you have given me hope! Am I the only person lamenting not having an OFSTED inspection?!

16. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

If ofsted inspectors have been culled by 40% as of the end of June, there aren't likely to be many inspections in July, simply due to the fact that there aren't many inspectors left!

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Except it's 40% of additional inspectors contracted through external inspection service providers ... the other 1600 are joining the in house service