1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No NQT support!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dstubbs123, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am considering applying to a gorgeous school that has everything I am looking for. Problem is, they have indicated that they will only take strong NQTS as they cannot offer any NQT support this year. How important was your support during your first year? Could you have managed alone?

D x

2. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

What do they mean by NO support? Will they give you the 10% reduced PPT time? Will you be given a mentor?
    If not, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. NQTs need varying levels of support but to say you won't get any at all is a bit much! Why won't they just pay out for a teacher who has more experience? Are they hiding something? Why do they want to get an NQT and not help them? I would be asking myself all these questions.
    Also why does the school seem so perfect? Have you visited and had a good look round?
    Of course, it could be perfect and the set up is so amazing that the NQTs will be OK despite lack of support.
    Phrase it another way: we can only take strong candidates because we don't plan to help them at all during the year. Survival of the fittest? Sink or swim?
    Perhaps I am just too cynical.

3. Hmm, it seems that they have a very busy year ahead, and want a teacher who can get along independently.

They are taking applicants from anyone regardless of experience but said on school visit that they would recommend only strongest NQTS for that reason.

The ethos of the school is exactly what I have been looking for and the staff/HT/lessons seem fab, but is that enough to make up for flying solo??

x

4. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

I wouldn't go for it. But that's me and at the end of the day it's your life and your career. Just go in with your eyes open and realise that you won't get any help. This could be very draining or it could be fine. One thing I would ask if you get an interview is whether the dept shares resources. If they don't, run a mile - I am spending hours preparing resources as I'm not given anything. I even have to record all my own audio materials for listening exercises for KS3 (I'n a French NQT)!
    Good luck!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If schools appoint an NQT, they are obliged to register the NQT with the LA. If there are problems with the performance of the NQT then the LA will insist that support is given. Schools are not allowed to appoint an NQT for more than a term and not offer induction, which involves some support.

I would imagine this is a way of actually saying they don't really want an NQT.

6. Alie

Alie New commenter

Ummmmmm being an NQT is very different from a student. All of a sudden you are in charge of a class, have to APP all the children, watch out for potential signs of things, talk to parents etc etc. If they are not offering support that may be needed before you even get there, you do not want to go there! Your NQT year can be a make or break year (in as much as is this job right for me) and the last thing you want to do is feel like you are drowning, being a pest etc. You will need a mentor and a good one. Good luck!

7. Hi, I have just finished being an NQT, my first school was terrible with support. Support is so important please check out my blog nqttruth.wordpress.com