1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No-notice Ofsted from September!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tidally, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

2. Tidally

Tidally New commenter

3. I would prefer it. The two days waiting is far worse than the inspection and let's be honest what will be will be. I'd rather be seen on a normal day than judged on one I'd prepared earlier. I know there is the argument that you want to be seen in the best light possible, but in my experience after 2 days of worrying that never happens!

4. Agreed! We have been expecting a visit since September, which has still not happened. Everything we do is dominated by it. It is really spoiling the year, as everyone is on tenterhooks and there is no guarantee they will visit this academic year...

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That sort of agony won't change - in fact, it would just be prolonged 2 days! The not-knowing is the worst bit in my experience. Once you know, then you can get your house in order.
    Arguably, no-notice is the most sensible approach - but not with the current punitive system which does nothing to support schools. This will serve only further to crush those that most need guidance!

6. A good idea if.....
    OFSTED, The Government and the media accept that not every lesson is outstanding, not all planning is 4 pages thick, policies, displays etc may not be up to date and ..... some lessons will be catch up, revision or even finishing off lessons.
    Current observations are a joke. Teachers prepare like mad for the inspections and this gives a false impression of schools. Teachers do their best - if SMT and the Government want outstanding all the time, then stress and work life balance are going to be problems. I have no problem with high expectations but over high expectations can come at a cost.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agreed.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree totally.
    I actually remember an old style HMI inspection as a student on TP, when the Inspectors were 'old hands', experienced teachers who knew what to look for, how to help and advise and were (in the main) genuinely supportive. I've also met a team years ago who genuinely found time to complement first, BEFORE they started on the 'perhaps you could. . . improvement measures.So much better for staff morale!

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Absolutely agree 100%.