1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No notice inspections

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sabrinakat, Feb 22, 2017.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It's been a fun day.;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just what you could have done without sabrinakat.;)

Did SMT really have no notice either?

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  3. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Do they really still do these?
    Maybe I should panic everyday!
    (Or not. I'm on supply....but a 6 week block.)

4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Surely you got day before notice?

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My thoughts are with you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

Nope - it's ISI (independent school); email came down from the deputy head during first period - it actually hasn't been that bad (the deputy has a very English dry sense of humour, fortunately), but a bit disconcerting to have somebody pop into a lesson for 10 minutes. I was observed twice - one was an incredibly boring Y11 GCSE past paper revision (and I made a mistake on the PPT, which I pointed out to the students that due to the marking system that it was only a minor error but to always check their work (I joked that perhaps half-term wasn't the best time to prepare PPTs) and a Y10 class where they were doing flashcard vocabulary amongst themselves and we worked on derivations in English to help them remember. Really thrilling stuff....

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But Ofsted aren't supposed to want thrills, they're supposed to want good teaching that will benefit the children. Have to go into the sky to find my pig now...

les25paul, peter12171 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. sabrinakat

Would a flying cat be more appropriate?

[​IMG]

ValentinoRossi and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:)
    Didn't know ISI did these.:eek:

I'm all relaxed this week...too shattered to be anything else!
    I might even get them to do some colouring in today! (I'll just call it minfulness if someone comes in!)

Did all go well?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

My friend works in an independent school and she says ISI inspections aren't like ofsted at all, more like the old HMI inspections,more realistic expectations, check and offer advice. This was 10 years ago so might have changed.
    With no notice, they should expect to see tests, practice papers etc.
    I think I would get my kids into the habit of no notice tests and give one on an inspection day!

11. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

There's only one way to cope with a no notice inspection - take no notice of it.

12. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

We have them coming up for the next 2 weeks. Don't worry, they said they weren't judging us. :rolleyes:

ValentinoRossi and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Ah, I see. When I taught in independent we had ofsted not ISI...though I had heard of it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

No notice? We had a good three or four days before our ISI inspection. Enough for me, as a new HoD, to write the department handbook that my predecessor hadn't updated for the best part of a decade.

15. Lara mfl 05

Depends on the type of Indie.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your friend is correct.
    ISI start from the premise that 'of course the school is excellent' and then just take off bits here and there if they can't find the evidence. It's basically up to the school not to stuff it up and all will be well. They are also more open to 'well that was clearly an excellent lesson, you can 'just tell', rather than having a tick list of requirements.
    Ofsted start from the bottom and you have to prove you are above utterly inadequate in every single little tick box way.

Lara mfl 05 and yodaami2 like this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

If only Ofsted had a similar approach.:rolleyes: