1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

no notice inspections - ready made lessons??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I spoke to a friend at the weekend about how ofsted will be able to turn up unannounced from september. She said in in the process of preparing stand alone lessons for Literacy and numeracy with lots of interactive activities to make sure shes graded outstanding.
    Am I missing something here? In my experience they just see what was going to happen anyway, or am I being naiive? Should I be planning my own lessons to be ready at the drop of a hat?
    Thoughts please.

2. Don't see how that will help as a big focus of new framework is about progress over time. Your friend may deliver a good/outstanding lesson with her one off session but if the work or evidence doesn't stack up from her books/data/planning etc then it's sure to open up more questions. Think we should all be focusing on our every day lessons and making them the best we can - with the occasional off day of course!

3. Just one look at the weekly plan and a discussion of how her lesson fits into progression during the week will show OFSTED what she has done.

4. I wouldn't do it; it's not worth it. They aren't looking for WOW lessons, they are looking for assessment strategies, relationships with the children, progression within the lesson, subject knowledge...all the stuff that would happen in an every day lesson. It would also be obvious that the lesson didn't fit into the weekly planning. I had two observed lessons, both of which were standard for me. I did not change anything...good job really, as children were taken off afterwards and asked if that was a standard lesson, or if I'd done anything different. If I had spent a long time putting together stand alone WOW lessons, I'd have wondered if my everyday teaching was good enough.

5. We had Ofsted in last week and they looked at the planning, workbooks and teacher assessments for the children in class from September onwards whilst doing classroom teaching observations - and they were joint observations with a member of SLT. They also grilled SLT about their observations of teaching over time (PM obs, etc) and the evidence that SLT could provide to support their assessments of teachers. During the feedback to teachers the inspectors reinforced that their grading was only a reflection of what they had seen during that particular lesson and should not be taken as a judgement of that teacher's abilities on a day-to-day basis. The other thing that has disappeared is the '... with good/outstanding features' comment - they no longer do this. Our inspectors used the phrase 'solid good' to translate as 'good with outstanding features'.
    So, no, I don't think that standalone lessons like this will work to pull the wool over anyone's eyes anymore.

6. No, no, no, no, no, no!!
    The one off, wow lessons are a thing of the past I am afraid. As others have said, inspectors will be looking for AfL driven lessons and children learning at the right level.
    They would not look kindly on a one off lesson plonked in the middle of a unit. As someone else has said, make sure that your every day lessons are driven by AfL and you will be just fine.

7. This. Absolutely what we've been told by our LA advisers.
    Your friend might do a great lesson, but Ofsted will want far more evidence than that. Expect to have your books looked at in detail, statistical analysis torn apart, record keeping for progress/actions and intervention minutely examined, children questioned about 'what they usually do in lessons' and 'what are your targets and how are you being helped to achieve them?', etc.
    On the upside, Ofsted are likely to be far less interested in whether 'your friend' is outstanding in a single lesson, than whether 'teaching and learning' in the whole school are outstanding. They will want to see excellent progress for most children over a number of years, and via a number of teachers. Not just from the stats, but from the work produced as well.