1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No news is goog news?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by uptheranch, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Ok, so we all know how torturous his waiting game is. I'm not gonna start another discussion of "When will we hear?"...because none of us know and we're not being told anything.

However, I'm trying to remain optimistic by telling myself that no news is good news.

I'd like to think that if the university was not still considering offering me a place - and so rejecting me regardless of funding - that they would've told me already and informed GTTR of it so that my application could go on to my next provider.

My logic being:
    Say in the past years they've had funding for 20 students.
    It is unlikely that this will suddenly jump up to 30.
    So really I would expect them to be sitting with a shortlist of 20-25 people ready to send out acceptances once funding is finalised.
    So I like to think that I'm in their final shortlist!

If after all this wait they inform me that I have not got a place, I expect that the other providers on my list will have filled their places too and so will not be starting in september (and couldn't afford to start the following year with the increased fees). If that's the case my first choice provider. GTTR, TDA, DfE and Michael Gove will all be getting complaint letters from me.

Not writing the complaint letters yet - living in the positive and i really hope that no news is good news!

2. Ok, so we all know how torturous his waiting game is. I'm not gonna start another discussion of "When will we hear?"...because none of us know and we're not being told anything.

However, I'm trying to remain optimistic by telling myself that no news is good news.

I'd like to think that if the university was not still considering offering me a place - and so rejecting me regardless of funding - that they would've told me already and informed GTTR of it so that my application could go on to my next provider.

My logic being:
    Say in the past years they've had funding for 20 students.
    It is unlikely that this will suddenly jump up to 30.
    So really I would expect them to be sitting with a shortlist of 20-25 people ready to send out acceptances once funding is finalised.
    So I like to think that I'm in their final shortlist!

If after all this wait they inform me that I have not got a place, I expect that the other providers on my list will have filled their places too and so will not be starting in september (and couldn't afford to start the following year with the increased fees). If that's the case my first choice provider. GTTR, TDA, DfE and Michael Gove will all be getting complaint letters from me.

Not writing the complaint letters yet - living in the positive and i really hope that no news is good news!

3. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I know exactly what you mean. i applied last year and the first uni kept hold of it for soooo long before they rejected me that by the time it was sent on the next place was full and i was soo annoyed.
    If it happens again this year i dont know what i will do. The wait is killing me :'(

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Agreed, I'm in a similar predicament.
    However I'm waiting to hear whether I will be offered an interview - sent off to my first choice over a month ago.
    It's terrifying for us because of the situation with fees in 2012. Unfortunately I think that will make a number of prospective teachers think if they don't get onto a course this year, it'll have to be GTP, Teach First or an alternative career. And of course those teaching routes are incredibly competitive - and will become even more so.
    It saddens me how this government are dismantling the state and all the good work the TDA did to give teaching more of the prestige and attention it deserves.
    This time next year there I predict the scramble for PGCE places will be far less competitive, fought out by those who are supported by parents or are able to live without paying rent. Those of us who wanted to teach will have to find alternative ways in - or change sector altogether.
    Grrrrr!

5. This year has been awful with the whole application process. We can only hope no news is good news.

6. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

My first choice explicitly stated at the interview that if we've been rejected they'll let us know within a week, and that interview was nearly two months ago, so I'm just hoping, and hoping, and hoping....

7. I'm confused as to why some Universities have given out conditional offers while most have not. Do you think they might know something that the others don't, or that they are just taking a bit of a gamble?
    Goldsmiths have sent out condtional offers based on having a 2:1 degree and an A-C grade in maths and English GCSE. Nothing is said about number of places, or about government funding [​IMG]

8. Well my uni said that they won't be rejecting or offering places until the know the numbers. They said that's what other unis had agreed to do and the believe that if you are rejected the other unis would have just rejected people as well so you can try there.

So I'm not sure either way really, for me...no news is really just no news!