1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No National Exam Board

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by AnotherMathsHoD, Dec 17, 2011.

1. I'm not sure I fully agree with Ofqual, but they do at least have a point. If you look at the history of the A-level Mathematics exams over the last 45 years or so the most innovative A-level courses came from the smaller interest groups (MEI, SMP, and RAMP) who all profoundly (and in my opinion positively) influenced the field of mathematics education.
    So part of me would be disappointed to lose the option of this more innovative and progressive strand... That said, I think it has become increasingly difficult for any of the boards to do anything very different these days anyway...

2. Exam boards/publishers = old boys/girls club, also Pearsons = big business, no way they were ever going to change the status quo.

I agree that MEI in particular have shown some innovation.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Yes, pie in the sky hoping that the Tories would go against their free market principles on this one... I also agree about MEI...

4. Exam boards and publishing are now inextricably linked. Publishing is a very closed world that lives in the same London bubble that the politicians inhabit. I'm not in any way anti-London but there are a lot of vested interests involved with this.

5. What publishing relationship is MEI in?

6. I think earlier posters, myself included, were referring to the innovation that MEI has shown, rather than being critical of them.

MEI are in with Hodder Education, as far as I recall.

My point was that it's an insular world exam boards/publishers and one that's unlikely to change.