1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No National Curriculum in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jonowen, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Mr. Jo often gives me a row for shouting at the TV during the news - but last night I was so annoyed I was speechless. Reporter was reporting on Michael Gove's review of English NC and said that Wales and Nrthrn Irlnd has their own NC, Scotland has none. Is this right?

2. jonowen

Mr. Jo often gives me a row for shouting at the TV during the news - but last night I was so annoyed I was speechless. Reporter was reporting on Michael Gove's review of English NC and said that Wales and Nrthrn Irlnd has their own NC, Scotland has none. Is this right?

3. Technically yes. England, Wales and Northern Ireland have a mandatory NC. In Scotland 5-14 were National Guidelines, they were not mandatory however that could be qualified with the words 'all but'. Now we are blessed with CfE and therein lies another can of worms.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The CfE Os & Es effectively form a Scottish NC. Not so much a can of worms as a can of Scotch Mist.

5. Oh joni, you and I must get together for a shout-at-the-TV-news party!! [​IMG]

6. Aye, but do you not think you can teach just about anything and find an outcome to match? I'm pretty sure you could at least make a case.

7. Ha ha! I did exactly the same! I shouted "What are you talking about?", but I don't think she heard me! [​IMG]

8. Yes - you can pretty much justify anything!

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

In reply to the two posts above, maybe you don't know what Scotch mist is, metaphorically speaking?

10. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

As teachers we have long called for a less prescriptive and restrictive curriculum, allowing us to use our professional judgement as to what/when/how to teach. Surely you have just put forward a very good argument in favour of CfE. However, I agree that the externally validated assessment of this, particularly at secondary, is where CfE currently falls down.

11. jonowen

Glad I'm not alone Nicola and CG!!
    Seriously, I HAVE to teach my Standard Grade, Higher and AH pupils about Scottish music, musical form, musical literacy etc...etc.. because that is part of the music curriculum in Scotland and the SQA exam questions are based around these topics - other subjects will be the same. I'm sick of the BBC being so English-based and wish they would have an English Broadcasting Company, where they would only mention their own facts and leave us alone.