1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No nail biting tips

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Oct 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I know there are many big problems going on but I'm trying to battle one of my own little evils. I'm a chronic nail biter, I always have been. I think the longest I went without biting my nails was a week and then I caved.

This week I got gels over my nails and I've been five days nail biting free! But the temptation is growing strong and the gels will come off eventually.

I teach D&T so my nails have never been a priority but it's something I want/need to grow out of because I will bite until my fingers bleed.

Does anyone have any tips? I've tried that awful tasting nail varnish but whenever I have a sandwich or finger food it just ends up on my food.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If you do the following you will stop biting your fingernails for ever.

Bite them now. Go on! Bite them. Bite them again at 8 p.m. tonight. Bite them again at 10 p.m. tonight. Bite them at 1 p.m. tomorrow. Bite them at 5 p.m. tomorrow. Bite them at 10 p.m. tomorrow. Do this irrespectively of whether you are still biting them. Keep exactly to the routine I've described. Even if you find yourself biting your nails five minutes before any of the times above you must still bite them at the given times.

After 10 p.m. on Monday you will realise you can bite your fingernails whenever you want.

Forget about it on Tuesday.

Come back on here next Friday and tell us how you've gone on.

Bonnie23 and monicabilongame like this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh @Bonnie23 I feel your pain !!!!
    I have been a chronic nail biter all my life ...so you can say I have bitten them over 60 years !!! I was shouted at and nagged by my ex.... made me as jumpy as hell; it certainly didn't help or motivate me to stop! The younger girl nags too - even if my fingers are within spitting distance of my face.
    What helped. Well.... growing the 2 little finger nails as a first step. They grew! Then 3rd finger.... gradually working up to only biting 1. It worked and despite being the worst nail biter I have ever seen...with nails down to the quick..... my nails were pretty good. I bought nail varnish. I made them pretty. I kept an emery board close at all times because if I got a "rough bit" then it was in great danger of leading me to bite it....
    I at one stage too had acrylic nails put on and that can really help.
    So for a good while I had 10 decent nails.
    I admit to a relapse this summer....and I bit 3 nails on my right hand. As I was taking younger girl away on holiday for 2 weeks in Sept.... I went to a nail bar and had 3 acrylic nails put on them.... and a very nice polish on all the rest. That worked ! She didn't notice and over the next month the 3 have regrown.... I just have to keep them out of my mouth.

I wish you all luck..... if I can do it.... you can !!

Bonnie23 likes this.
  4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Once a nail-biter, always a nail biter I'm afraid. You can go through times of not nibbling but the desire never leaves :( I was very strict and had acrylics put on and went every two weeks to have them infilled. But the nails are weak and break. Because it seems 'wrong' to trim them once I do get them to grow, they then snap and the nibbling starts again.

The other issue with having false nails put on, is I can't do anything! Pulling up yer kecks or tights is a nightmare, typing is tricky as is using the phone.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Oh yes!

I bit my nails all through my childhood, despite being nagged endessly (and so did my father......), and through most of my adulthood.

I bit them till they bled, and when there was no nail left to bite, I chewed the skin all round them until that bled, too

And when I was MUCH younger, and had no nails or fingers left to bite, I even bit my toe nails.

Now I have 10 long nails of varying length - but I am just one nibble away from falling once again.

If you can manage to leave one nail unnibbled, until it actually has some length, you might find the urge to nibble that nail goes. That's how I broke the habit - one nail at a time.

Just occasionally, usually when a nail gets really long, I find myself nibbling and nibbling at it until it's shorter, but I do manage to stop before the bleeding starts! But I still enjoy playing with the nails in my mouth until they're really shredded (gross, i know).

Good luck.

Bonnie23 and HelenREMfan like this.
  6. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

It even has a name: onychophagia - a type of body-focused repetitive behaviour (BFRB). More here https://www.bfrb.org/learn-about-bfrbs/treatment/causes-of-bfrbs. For me, the first step is to notice when I do it, then, while I'm trying to beat the habit, I try and avoid the situations that trigger it. A bit difficult at the moment, because I'm required to be in one of those situations Monday-Friday ;)

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Having manicures and the horrible tasting stuff painted on your nails are the only two methods I know. When I was younger I did bite them, but stopped somewhere along the line, though I occasionally have dry skin around my nails and bite that. Did develop cellulitis in my hand at one point so try to avoid that too.

Saw a man on TV this week who habitually bit his nails, developed a nasty infection in his thumb, this developed into sepsis and it has damaged his shoulder, and I think he had to have surgery on it and certainly still has pain. There's a clip on the This Morning website with the interview. Eventually his wife realised there was something seriously wrong and that saved his life.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  8. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Maybe constant pictures of nail infections might make me stop!

9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Yes, it might!

A public health campaign helped me stop smoking, it showed someone going on a night out, smoking throughout, coming home, taking off their make-up etc and then brushing their teeth. A sinister voice said 'But you can't brush your lungs clean!' Definitely an ear worm that I heard every time I brushed my teeth.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I find doing something with my hands helps. Take up knitting or crochet, it not only stops me biting my nails but also means I'm not constantly snacking because my hands are too busy.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I inadvertently stopped a nailbiter some years ago. She was a colleague and and a dedicated nibbler. I saw her nails and was horrified because they looked so tatty and painful. I did comment, not too sympathetically as I remember.

I promptly forgot but she didn't. About 4/5 weeks later she came to show off her homegrown, beautifully manicured nails. She said I had made her feel so ashamed, she had to do something about it.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder whether Jesus was tempted to try biting his nails.

Bonnie23 likes this.