1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No more leniency!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by NinjaCurtain, Jan 16, 2019.

1. NinjaCurtain

NinjaCurtain New commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Probably appropriate. If schools won't enter pupils properly, then they shouldn't get a grade (just the same as if they tried to enter the child for A level exams).
    last year was a trial run, so it was good for borderline candidates to get some recognition.

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Just more pressure for some teachers. Oh and students. Some of ours are learning a lesson; mocks are important cos that's all we've got to go on to make our decisions. Some sad kids who think they are good enough for higher. "I'll work for the summer exams!" sorry son, too late!
    Doesn't bother me too much personally. Everyone I entered for higher last year got a 4 or above.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

What is the highest grade now available if a pupil is not entered for the higher paper?

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

They can get up to a grade 5 on the Foundation Paper, or 5-5 if doing Combined Science.

I wonder if not being able to get a grade 3 on the higher paper really matters. After all a grade 3 is not really any use either to the pupil in terms of what they can do after GCSE, or to the school in terms of league tables.

phlogiston and Jamvic like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Thank you.

7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

It is a sensible move as some schools were trying to game the system - last year would have had record numbers of students getting U grades on the Higher papers in Science had the changes not been applied.